Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Fresh Water Tank Heater

Will be operating my 2021 Travato 59G in the north during December. I've located my external heaters on the black/gray tanks but the fresh water tank does not have one. Could it be inside the tank. The tank is completely exposed so i'm worried about it freezing. Is this an issue? I'm a Florida resident and not familiar with operating an RV in freezing temperatures.
aaweinstein@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:11 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Probably a much bigger concern is any outside plumbing tubing and fixtures. They will freeze before the tank.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:15 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Probably a much bigger concern is any outside plumbing tubing and fixtures. They will freeze before the tank.
Right. The tank has plenty of expansion room and is likely not brittle. It only takes a few minutes to blow out the pipes and take any removable fixtures indoors.

If you want to keep using the water system in freezing temperatures, that can be done, but is a much bigger project.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:48 AM   #4

Default Is my Travato really 4 season

Thanks SteveJ and Avanti for the input. Winnebago does advertise the Travato for 4 season use, all freshwater lines are above the floor in the coach and the water fill is also within the coach. Still I'm dubious of their claims. While I'm driving or sleeping in the coach it will be heated. I intend to run the heat and maybe put a small auxiliary heater in the unit while I visit relatives and staying indoors. One of the reasons I purchased the Travato was its 4 season rating but I'm a little suspicious of marketing hype.
aaweinstein@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:02 AM   #5
Platinum Member

You've been given excellent advice. I just wanted to add that in my old 97PW I've mostly spent the "winter" months in the SW. But I did trek to Utah in March where we encountered 3 days of night time lows from 20-24 degrees. We never experienced any problems with all systems operating without anti freeze. I believe I once read on this forum that in situations where the cabin temperature is kept at a reasonable non freezing level and the daytime highs get above freezing it's not so much an issue. But I'm not sure.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote