Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2021, 01:25 AM   #1

Default Fuse or switch or not?

Hi All
Got Dokio 200 w portable panels. Seem to work fine to charge house battery in driveway. Also got extension cables so I can park in shade and have panels in sun. Any thoughts in need for a fuse or disconnect switch? Good idea or not necessary?
Thanks!
Strider
Strider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:04 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I always fuse anything i add

it's cheap protection

use ohms law to calculate the max A you should see and add a bit

not so concerned about an overload, but a short

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Normally, I would say that controller should be connected to batteries with a fuse that is easily removable or a switchable circuit breaker and panels to the controller with a fuse and a switch.

The reasoning is that you never want to have the controller getting output from the panels when a battery in not also connected to it. With no battery in the circuit the panels can drive the controller to pass through higher than nomal voltage. Worst is if the panels are not connected and sitting in the sun and you plug them into a controller that isn't attached to a battery. Big spike possible.

In use, you would normally leave the controller connected to the batteries all the time and only disconnected for storage or maintenance if needed. Any on/off function is done on the panels only so the above bad things don't happen. Totally safe to turn the panels on and off as long as the battery is connected to the controller.

Portable panels and ciip on controllers are more difficult to make sure this doesn't happen, but it sounds like yours are going to be hardwired with a long cable.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:46 PM   #4

Thank you all! Very helpful.
Strider
Strider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Before plugging in our portable panels I either cover them or have them face down so there is no output. The controller is hardwired.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
Before plugging in our portable panels I either cover them or have them face down so there is no output. The controller is hardwired.

That makes it totally safe, but probably isn't necessary from what I have gotten from manuals for controllers. Many of them show a switch in the line to the panels which is really the same thing. There big concern is having the battery in the system whenever the panels are connected and seeing sunlight. Worst case, as mentioned earlier, would be to plug in or flip a panel switch on with no battery in the circuit and bright sun on the panels.

Since with portables it is easy to do, no reason not to, though, as it is foolproof and depending on the plug style you might see some arcing.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote