Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
............ Linking the starter battery replacement with the generator failure is rather unlikely, ...............
Generator hasn't really failed. It runs when it gets 12V when the Sprinter engine is running. Shutting off the Sprinter engine interrupts that 12V likely because there's an isolator or Separator.

LP solenoid etc. all work when 12V is present so no failed parts.

Starting battery and House battery are seen as one battery when combined by the separator so the generator sees 12V. Interrupt that 12V (turn off Sprinter engine) and the generator quits (lack of fuel as LP solenoid closes when 12V not present is my guess).

12V to the generator needs to be restored as Harry pointed out. Very likely explanation is that the House battery to chassis ground was removed as a safety precaution when the Starting battery was replaced. Or maybe they tested the House battery during the same visit.

12V still gets to the Coach systems because that wiring still present. (most) Coach systems don't require a House battery to vehicle chassis ground.

Missing House battery to chassis ground seems to be the most likely cause of this problem.

Edit: 12V path to generator now with Sprinter engine running:
(neg) Chassis to generator
(pos) Starter battery to separator to House battery positive to generator positive.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Generator hasn't really failed. It runs when it gets 12V when the Sprinter engine is running. Shutting off the Sprinter engine interrupts that 12V likely because there's an isolator or Separator.

LP solenoid etc. all work when 12V is present so no failed parts.

Starting battery and House battery are seen as one battery when combined by the separator so the generator sees 12V. Interrupt that 12V (turn off Sprinter engine) and the generator quits (lack of fuel as LP solenoid closes when 12V not present is my guess).

12V to the generator needs to be restored as Harry pointed out. Very likely explanation is that the House battery to chassis ground was removed as a safety precaution when the Starting battery was replaced. Or maybe they tested the House battery during the same visit.

12V still gets to the Coach systems because that wiring still present. (most) Coach systems don't require a House battery to vehicle chassis ground.

Missing House battery to chassis ground seems to be the most likely cause of this problem.

Edit: 12V path to generator now with Sprinter engine running:
(neg) Chassis to generator
(pos) Starter battery to separator to House battery positive to generator positive.
….and to continue Booster’s and your posts, perhaps installer indeed made a mistake and started changing "starting" battery from under the hood, disconnected the ground then realized it was a wrong battery and replaced the battery from under the floor but forgot to reconnect under the hood battery to the ground. All this while OP is MIA.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
The attached document is old but likely still valid.
It always amazes me the knowledge you guys are able to dig up. I suspect the upfitter’s aux battery document holds the key to the solution.

Interesting that generator stopping could be caused by LP delivery failure rather than ignition failure. Probably caused by both depending where the LP solenoid is.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Re: LP solenoid - Just for clarity, I'm assuming there's one on the generator itself. I'm not referring to one that turns LP on or off for the whole coach.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:18 PM   #25

I suspect the installer disconnected the ground from the house battery when he replaced the vehicle's engine battery. Given that the two battery systems are interconnected by the battery separator whenever the voltage is above a certain threshold, then the positive cable would've otherwise been "HOT" even with the vehicle battery removed... not good when loose cables are bouncing around inside that compartment. The installer probably forgot to reconnect the house battery ground afterwards.

Ergo, as others have surmised, the only time the generator is getting the 12 Vdc it needs to run is when the vehicle's engine is running and the alternator is producing sufficient power to raise the battery voltage above the battery separator's threshold for the relay coil.

A similar failure could also result if the installer removed the house battery POS terminal from the battery separator; once again, to avoid having a HOT cable bouncing around.

A third possibility is a possible failure of the battery separator itself, that may have been related to the vehicle's battery replacement or could simply be an unrelated coincidence.
DAWg134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 07:26 PM   #26
Platinum Member

We will never know. The originator of the thread quit talking to us. It has been an interesting exercise and embarrassing to realize how long it took us/me to come up with the simple, probable, solution.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 PM   #27

I've got the same or similar problem with my Roadtrek 2015 SS Agile Sprinter; generator won't start unless engine is running. It will turn over but not fire. So maybe a similar ground issue, but with the solenoid? I can't try things right now as I've lent it a friend.
JRForster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #28

I am having the same problem with my Dodge widebody I am hoping someone out there knows where to look
Charlie
Charlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote