Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2023, 10:49 PM   #1

Default generator only starts when van is running

i have a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have a 2004 Roadtrek versitile van, Dodge and had electrical switching issues. I have replaced the relay and put two new house battreies in it. I switch on the power and here the relay switch on, my onboard battery condition lights say I have full lights and my solar charging module says i have 13.6 volts
but when i go to start the generator i get clicks from the starter and my onboard battery condition says only one light out of four ,however when I switch the power off and back on again I'm back to full power. now, if I start the van with the power on the genny starts right up.

what the hell is going on !!
sailertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

My Grandpa used to say, "Jim Bob - Check your Grounds."
Today - and for many years, I've said; "99.9+% of Electrical problems are Mechanical in nature."

ASIDE: [Corrosion, though induced chemically/electrically becomes a mechanical issue.]
Good luck in your search.

Cheers - Jim
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

If it is like my 2003 Popular, also from Florida, the ground connection was in a very bad corrosive state. To get to it I removed the generator and the vertical support bracket, used several applications of naval jelly (rust remover), replaced the eye on the ground cable, bolt, star washer and nut. Left bare metal on the frame under the star washer, used grease between elements and covered it all with a lot of black paint. That was 13 years ago and haven’t had any trouble since. Of course it is in Arizona now, not Florida. Have fun.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:04 PM   #4

Default Thank you Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomjock View Post
My Grandpa used to say, "Jim Bob - Check your Grounds."
Today - and for many years, I've said; "99.9+% of Electrical problems are Mechanical in nature."

ASIDE: [Corrosion, though induced chemically/electrically becomes a mechanical issue.]
Good luck in your search.

Cheers - Jim
Jim Bob,
It was the battery ground, thanks for passing on your Grandpas knowledge. Everything works great now.
These are befor and after photos. The befor pic was after removing the black undercoating to reveal the rust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74558687-1EAE-4734-B048-53B960C7D5F4.jpg (317.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 5EA0278E-2086-441A-AC4E-CD18C038EA60.jpg (229.2 KB, 25 views)
sailertim is offline   Reply With Quote