Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Generator quiet box

Rv'ing long time and have a new to me 02 Roadtrek for 1 year. The first thing I did was remove the RV sounds like a lawnmower running under the RV generator and sell it for $700.

I have built 5 Box's for Hondas 2 of them sound box's and working on what will be 3rd soundbox for a Honda 2200. The RV is my hobby so I do not mind spending too much time on it. I scour the net looking for inspiration, one I like is from a fella named Jaugerston from 2006. There are a few pictures and a couple posts on the net, not much else available from him. Lets see how this posting works.
[IMG][/IMG]
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:25 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I seem to be the only person in North America that is interested in quieting down my Honda generator? I have been tinkering with it, made some progress, changed the design, doing research. Now I am gluing in plywood as a sound dampener and as a base to adhere the Soundown composit foam to. Had to get creative to "clamp" something for 24 hours in the end of the box with supports and retainers sticking out of it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-18-2023, 09:57 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Class B’s don’t generally have room for a stand alone generator let alone a quiet box. I have been around a few class A’s that I wish had them.

The lack of interest is because this is a class B group. We just don’t have the room.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 01:10 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I'd guess these portable generators are not supposed to be running inside a box - or inside of anything actually. Probably supposed to run them outdoors well clear of anyone or anything.

How about a solar system instead? Completely silent - that helps keep the peace in the campgrounds.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I thought Roadtrek is a class B?

Honda makes a sound box for the portable generators.
Old 02-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The sound might be muffled but the next door campsite will notice if trying to sleep, so it would still be against most campground policies of quiet hours.

During the day running a generator is obnoxious for enjoying camping so should be only as necessary. Running appliances I don't consider necessary.

Solar wouldn't substitute for running a generator that I can see. Winter, evenings, and woods would negate that if you think possible. Battery power as in massive amp hours would suffice. I'm running my Keurig as I type this.

Though running a Class B engine is as obnoxious, It is more efficient with a second alternator to recharge batteries and in turn convert to 110 amp power and not cause storage problems.

However, I could store that boxed generator in my Class B short Sprinter if the box footprint is no bigger than 18" x 32" and no matter what the height. I wouldn't consider it for the above reasons and would think my inflatable kayaks, folding bicycles or cases of beer would be more important.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I have been RV'ing for over 20 years, this will be my 6th generator box and my 3rd sound box. 10 of those years were full time in a DIY bus conversion with a Honda in a sound box. Not a honda 2000 but a EV6010, that was almost silent.

I live in Florida and if the AC or generator goes out I head for home!

https://www-honda-co-jp.translate.go...n&_x_tr_pto=sc
Old 02-21-2023, 10:24 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We just returned from camping at Katherine Landing near Bullhead City AZ. Both nights several "clowns" ran their noisy generators from 5 - 10 pm disturbing the peace and tranquility of the desert night. Generators should be banned from all public campgrounds! If folks want (or think they need) to run their generators then they should have the decency to dry camp in some remote area where they won't bother other folks.
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:49 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim86301 View Post
We just returned from camping at Katherine Landing near Bullhead City AZ. Both nights several "clowns" ran their noisy generators from 5 - 10 pm disturbing the peace and tranquility of the desert night. Generators should be banned from all public campgrounds! If folks want (or think they need) to run their generators then they should have the decency to dry camp in some remote area where they won't bother other folks.
I agree, go to the store and buy the biggest generator you can afford, kick the muffler off to save gas and then run it all night.

The only thing worse is those that "need" their music!

I am not an inconsiderate AH.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Generators should be banned from all public campgrounds!.
Yes but someone will eventually mosey in and run one anyway regardless of the rules, and poison the well for everyone. There's always that one guy..

They are like smokers - they need there own cordoned-off area.

Only way out is boondocking as remote as possible, 5 miles distant from the next camper.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 08:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was in a remote campground once where we, the campers, took it upon ourselves to get the offending generator operator to cease and desist. This was in the Great Cedar Swamp of Florida, and the owner of the industrial sized generator felt that his air conditioning was more important than the peace and quiet of the campground. After a few hours of this, and well into nighttime, I shined my million candlepower spotlight on the offending camper, across the pond from me. Within ten minutes, there were a dozen other spotlights shining on the camper from all around the pond. The generator shut off shortly thereafter.