Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Generator runs, but no power to a/c stuff

Onan in my Paseo runs fine (now) but doesn't power any of the a/c stuff like microwave or outside receptacles. Reset all the breakers and the gfi receptacle; no result. Any suggestion as to where to start looking. I must be missing something simple ... I hope.
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

there is a breaker on the onan itself, check that?

( some models have fuses)

The onan manuals are available online

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:56 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I had the same issue - and what Mike described is exactly what it was; a breaker on the gen. I came to recognize that I had the A/C on full with the generator running; and that the draw was too heavy for it and flipped the breaker. My Onan gen is under the unit, and even though I thought I could get to it I realized that I could not. My mechanic was kind enough to put it on the rack, and reset it for me - at no charge.
DesertCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #4
Silver Member

Default Generator problem solved thanks to Mike & Desert

Here's the rest of the story.
Bought the van two years ago. Hardly ever used. Generator worked fine to rotate 110v power to three freezers and refrigerators during our first two fire related power shut offs. (This is northern CA) A few months later, another shut down, and the gen refused to start. Lost everything in the freezer.
Coming up on another fire season so I made an appointment with ONAN in Sacramento, as the gen was still under warranty.
Onan service folks said the error code indicated one or two possible things, and it might need a carburetor as a result of non-running monthly, which they said was the owners fault and not covered by warranty. They blamed California's gas - ethanol, for varnish in the carb. Said they were shorthanded and could't pull the generator (which also wasn't covered) until the next day, but the good news was they had the carb in stock, for only ... $622.77!
The parts guy said he'd never heard of a carb that expensive. Nor had I. He did suggest I take the van home and try "SeaFoam." Never heard of it, but I certainly wasn't going to re-mortgage the house to pay for an Onan repair, so I researched SeaFoam and ordered a case from - who else - Amazon.
Next day I poured most of a 16oz. can into the vans half-full gas tank. The following day I used a spraycan of the stuff to give the gen's carb about a 5 second shot, and waited 15 minutes and damned if the gen didn't start immediately, and purred like a kitten. Coincidence? or magic?
Old 07-28-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I've had mixed results with seafoam

but I did get it to clean out the carb on my onan

using a syringe to shoot it down the fuel line and letting sit overnight, then immersing the fuel line in a jar with 20% seafoam

ethanol in fuels ( thank Sen Grassley) causes unending problems in carburetors with varnish deposits and sludge ( as the alcohol will combine with water) which clog passages-

I have a bunch of old vehicles and have issues all the time- I got sick of rebuilding my chainsaw which only sees occasional use in the yard, I bought an electric and sent the old one to goodwill

why ethanol?
if contains a high % of oxygen which helps gasoline burn more fully, less hydrocarbons out the tailpipe

mixed bag, it also affects many carbs and causes those motors to run dirtier due to deposits clogging the carb

GRRRR

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #6
Silver Member

Thanks Mkguitar, the breaker (hidden) on the generator was off; reset and everything but the 110v receptacles worked. I found and reset the GFI on the inside receptacle; problem solved.
Thanks everyone.