Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Generator Won't Stay Running

I'll start off by admitting I haven't maintained the generator as I should. I have a 1999 Roadtrek 190P, which I've owned about 7 years. I have used the generator occasionally and have had it worked on at least twice, to clean out the carburetor. Even after I've had it worked on, it would run great all day the first day, and then I couldn't get it to stay running the next day. It's done this 2 or 3 times. Now, I'm trying to see if I can get it going again before giving up and taking it someplace. I learned about using Seafoam on here and other groups so thought I would try that first.

I put 2 cans of Seafoam in a nearly empty gas tank and then put in 20 gallons of gas. Two weeks later, I tried starting the generator. It would start, run for a few seconds and die, and did that a few times, but then it finally started and stayed running smoothly for an hour. I turned the AC on and let it run for another hour. Everything sounded great. Just as I went out to turn it off, the generator died on its own. I haven't been able to get it to restart since. There is still half a tank of gas, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Can someone tell me what the problem might be? Could something be clogging the fuel line? Fuel filter issue? Carburetor issue? I don't have the mechanical ability to work on this myself if it involves taking things apart beyond something simple, but I would like to know what to suggest to a mechanic. I'm also trying to decide whether or not to take it to my regular mechanic or to Cummins Sales & Service. My regular mechanic charged $200, but I was having the issue of it not wanting to start the next day. Cummins worked on a generator on my previous Class B, and they did a better job, but they charged $600. This was several years ago, so I'm assuming it'd be more now.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

No good news.

If Seafoam wont fix it the generator has to be removed and replaced. That is $200. An Onan fuel pump is $100. $600 is certainly an irritating charge but that is the way it is. Doing it yourself with a $30 aftermarket fuel pump is the best way. Even if you know what you are doing it is a lot of work.

If you get it working again, take care of it.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
No good news.

If Seafoam wont fix it the generator has to be removed and replaced. That is $200. An Onan fuel pump is $100. $600 is certainly an irritating charge but that is the way it is. Doing it yourself with a $30 aftermarket fuel pump is the best way. Even if you know what you are doing it is a lot of work.

If you get it working again, take care of it.
And if going aftermarket do consider a bit of re-engineering and mount it somewhere external from the genny. It will be a lot easier to replace next time. It will also be easier to hook up to a separate gas source for introducing a cocktail into the gennny.

Of course, with it being a lot easier, it will likely never fail.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
And if going aftermarket do consider a bit of re-engineering and mount it somewhere external from the genny. It will be a lot easier to replace next time. It will also be easier to hook up to a separate gas source for introducing a cocktail into the gennny.

Of course, with it being a lot easier, it will likely never fail.
Did you Check your Oil level?
n2cold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
Bronze Member

I also have a 1999 RT 190 with a Onan generator. I bought it last summer and had similar problems with it right after I got it.
The FIRST thing to do is check the oil as it has a low oil cut of switch. I only holds one quart of oil so I just drained out the oil and added new oil.
If you intend to troubleshoot the problem your self you should crawl under the RT (if you can put it on ramps this is a lot easier), remove the access panel, and spray starting fluid into the air cleaner while trying to start it. if it starts, you have a fuel issue. If it starts with starting fluid (and then quits) take the fuel line loose at the carburetor and push the start button (just for a few seconds). If gas does not come out , you can carefully cut the fuel line where it goes into the generator housing and add a piece of fuel line and put it into a gas can. If it starts you can reconnect the fuel line by adding a clear 1/4" fuel filter to see if you have air bubbles, which means you have to replace the fuel line to the tank.
If it does not start with starting fluid, check the spark plug for spark.
After refilling my gen set with oil it would start and run, but surged badly. I tried the Seafoam treatment without sucess. I ended up taking the generator down and replacing the carburator with a aftermarket carb from Amazon.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #6
Platinum Member

seafoam etc, don't expect instant results

repeated exercising and driving the van seems to slosh around in the float bowl and help clean

when mine was new to me ( used) and gummed up I mixed cleaner and gas in a jar, closed my inline petcock, removed genny fuel line from the petcock and stuck the end into the jar and had the fuel pump draw that mixture in.
repeated exercising over 2 days cleaned up the carb

it's a cheap fix to trial and costs only time on your back under the van.

I do have ramps, but also use 5 ton jack and stands once the van is up

Mike

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:34 AM   #7
Gold Member

I agree with Mike (MKguitar) that sucking in a concentrated mixture of seafoam by detaching the supply line is the way to go. I recall the help instructions I used suggested sucking straight seafoam in, then turning the genset off and letting it sit overnight. Then the next day sucking in some mixed with gas and running it through several times. The gen will run roughly, and smoke away, but it sure worked for me To clean the varnish out.

Another thought. You said your vehicle tank is “half full”. Is it half, or less? Some units won’t run the genset when your tank is below a certain point as you don’t want to run out of gas while out camping, particularly if Boondocking in the wilderness. If your unit has this feature, perhaps the problem is as simple as a fill-up?
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #8
Gold Member

I bought my '08 Roadtrek 210 in 2017. The previous owner ran the Onan 2.8K genny for about 10 minutes to prove it ran and then shut it down. Not knowing anything about RV's I didn't think twice about it. Well, first thing I learned when I got it home was that the genny would consistently shutdown on its own after 10-20 minutes of running, load or no load. After diagnosing a bad fuel pump I dropped the genny and replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter outside the onan box. I documented the process in the attached. Since such time I religiously run the generator monthly with a half load and it has run flawlessly, even in 100+ temps in the desert. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan Generator Pump Repl_Relocate Project_v2.pdf (479.0 KB, 39 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:59 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatters60 View Post
I bought my '08 Roadtrek 210 in 2017. The previous owner ran the Onan 2.8K genny for about 10 minutes to prove it ran and then shut it down. Not knowing anything about RV's I didn't think twice about it. Well, first thing I learned when I got it home was that the genny would consistently shutdown on its own after 10-20 minutes of running, load or no load. After diagnosing a bad fuel pump I dropped the genny and replaced the fuel pump and the fuel filter outside the onan box. I documented the process in the attached. Since such time I religiously run the generator monthly with a half load and it has run flawlessly, even in 100+ temps in the desert. Good luck!
Very nicely documented! Hope to never use it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote