Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #1

Default Genset Onan microlite 2800

I own a 1995 Roadtrek 210. I'm having an issue with the generator and was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this problem and what they did to resolve the issue. When the generator starts, it stays on for 4 minutes or even sometimes up to 15 minutes and shuts off? I changed the air filter & fuel filter and made no difference. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
kalanute@live.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Offhand it sounds like the fuel pump.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Offhand it sounds like the fuel pump.
I agree, sounds like the fuel pump.

Easy to check, disconnect the fuel line to the carb
and place it in some type of container.
Push the generator start switch. If fuel is coming out of the line at a steady flow the pump is good, if
not the pump is bad.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

The four minute quit thing is probably caused by the pump failing when hot. Tough to test that. Just replace the pump.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I am having exactly the same problem with the same genset. A previous poster had the same problem and he suggested replacing the fuel line to the genset, as it worked for him. As I recall, he had already replaced the fuel pump to no avail. I have my coach at the repair facility right now and am having them replace the line. However, it is his belief that it is the fuel pump, agreeing with others. But, replacing the fuel pump requires dropping the genset down from the chassis and the owner of the facility did not want to do that. So, if the fuel line replacement does not help, I will have to try another place for the fuel pump replacement. I will try to keep you posted on the results.
gksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Here is the URL to thread that I referred to in my previous post.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f2...quit-8841.html
Old 10-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Do not understand why the shop would not want to drop the gen set. I replaced the fuel pump, spark plug, fuel filter, cleaned the spark arrestor, changed the oil, replaced the carb all in my driveway, by myself in 4hrs and I am in my 60s.

We have a 2007 RT210 Versatile

Total parts cost was under $325.00

Hope all works out for you.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Dropping the generator is a pain, especially the AC line from the transfer switch. Shops charge $200+ to R+R the generator and a lot of complications can come up. Corroded mounting bolts, for one. Mine required moving the power panel a bit to release the AC wires.

If you own an Onan you need to get setup to R+R it yourself.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Dropping the generator is a pain, especially the AC line from the transfer switch. Shops charge $200+ to R+R the generator and a lot of complications can come up. Corroded mounting bolts, for one. Mine required moving the power panel a bit to release the AC wires.

If you own an Onan you need to get setup to R+R it yourself.

With all the problems that Onans have, it would probably be worthwhile to add a waterproof spice box under the van so you can get the AC disconnected without going all the way back to the transfer switch. When I removed our generator (permanently), getting to the AC at the transfer switch was by far the worst part. The rest was easy.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
With all the problems that Onans have, it would probably be worthwhile to add a waterproof spice box under the van so you can get the AC disconnected without going all the way back to the transfer switch. When I removed our generator (permanently), getting to the AC at the transfer switch was by far the worst part. The rest was easy.
I was pleasantly surprised to see a large junction box under my RT. The genny had been out several times before I owned it for two carbbies and one fuel pump. I also had to put a fuel pump on but I used an after market low pressure fuel pump mounted outside of the genny to make future replacement much easier.

If the Onan is going to remain place the junction box is a really good idea.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:57 AM   #11
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=RAA357;99819]Do not understand why the shop would not want to drop the gen set. [/QUOTE

The owner did not want to be responsible for the costs (about $600) in case the problem was not the fuel pump. He recommended another facility that routinely services Cummins gensets (not a Cummins Power Center that over charges). I visited with that shop this afternoon and he stated that often situations that appear to be fuel pump related are not really the fuel pump. So, I understand the RV repair shop owners wish. And, I did not want to encourage them to delve into something that they did not feel qualified to do.

Unfortunately the Cummins repair place is booked up for about a month and we have travel plans before that, so I guess we might be traveling without a good running genset. So much for the boondocking that we like to do.
Old 10-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #12

You are lucky, still working after 24 years ��had to replace fuel pump, carberater, and filter on my 11 year old RT��. Good luck with fixing your problem. I am no mechanic so parted with big bucks, but really happy with the results.
WilmaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #13
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

I have a 1995 Xplorer 230. Have replaced fuel pump twice now from doing same thing. Pump gets hot and shuts down. Easy to replace after you get unit out. People have told me that housing gets to hot and destroys pump. Some have placed fuel pumps outside the units housing.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #14

I have this gen and had same problem. I removed the carburetor then took the housing out and soaked it in carburetor cleaner (from Walmart) for 2 days. I used an air hose to blow out the tiny nozzles. I soaked again for 1 day then used air hose again to blow out all surfaces. Adjust the idle screw if necessary so if starts to stall. Youtube has lots of help on this particular generator. If this does not work, take it to lawnmower shop to have it rebuilt.
weekendRVwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #15

I just had a similar problem and turned out the oil was just low. Changing the oil fixed it for me.
karlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:05 PM   #16
Platinum Member

My Onan 2800QG generator just developed a new problem in addition to the existing one where, after warm-up, the motor stumbles sporatically (every few minutes) and occassionally dies (but sometimes will run 30+ minutes between stalls) . In these instances, it always re-starts with no problem. It purrs like a kitten at start up and in between stumbles.

The new problem is that 3 times recently it cuts power but continues running. This never happened before and my first reaction was that I was going to have to go underneath and reset the breaker within the generator case. But in each instance, after turning off the generator for a few minutes, it restarted normally and began generating power (after the normal 3 minute delay, of course).

Is that a self-resetting breaker inside the generator case? Any suggestions are appreciated.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My Onan 2800QG generator just developed a new problem in addition to the existing one where, after warm-up, the motor stumbles sporatically (every few minutes) and occassionally dies (but sometimes will run 30+ minutes between stalls) . In these instances, it always re-starts with no problem. It purrs like a kitten at start up and in between stumbles.

The new problem is that 3 times recently it cuts power but continues running. This never happened before and my first reaction was that I was going to have to go underneath and reset the breaker within the generator case. But in each instance, after turning off the generator for a few minutes, it restarted normally and began generating power (after the normal 3 minute delay, of course).

Is that a self-resetting breaker inside the generator case? Any suggestions are appreciated.
It could be your transfer relay. You should check to see if there is voltage present at the output of the genset.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:33 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
It could be your transfer relay. You should check to see if there is voltage present at the output of the genset.
Thanks. I just put the panel cover back on, but will pull it off and check all connections. That is one area I've never investigated. Only a few screws to get the panel off, but it is low and is more difficult to get the panel back on than it should be.

As far as generator output, it is good. I constantly monitor it after finding out shortly after purchasing my rv two years ago, that the gen speed was set too low and output was only 103v and 53-55Hz. May npt have contributed to the demise of my old air conditioner, but certainly didn't do it any good.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Default 2.8kv k modei

The problem I am having is it run good with a load but hunts or surges with no load
Jimc1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Governor or carburetor.
Low speed jet is partially obstructed. Run it and soak it a few hours with Seafoam in the fuel.

Just an opinion.

Tags
2.8, generator, genset, microlite, onan