Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Ham interference to wireless back up camera?

Any ham radio operators put a wireless back up camera on their motor homes? What RF interference do you see?

Having had my ticket for forty-seven years I’m quite familiar with RF interference. More looking for someone who installed a camera in and then operated from their motor home; interested in actual experience.

Thanks!
Steve, W8IZ
SteveWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

Hi Steve!

Our camera gets its feed from the back up light circuit so no interference issue. The receiver (mirror mounted LCD screen) did cause some issues on ours. I added a switch for the ability to shut it down as needed. Hope this helps!

73!
Bill - N7YGU
Bill V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:53 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Steve,

What sort of interference are you concerned with? Backup camera video feed causing noise in your radio, or video problems when transmitting on your ham radio?

Most backup cameras only operate when in reverse, so I'd expect the interference to the radio, if present, would be relatively rare. If it's video interference that's the concern, I'd again point out that backing up is done rarely compared to just driving, and suggest that time spent talking on your radio while backing up would be vanishingly small.

The use case for radio use while backing up is using a pair of hand-held radios, ham, FRS, or GMRS, for someone outside your rig to guide your maneuver. In that case, their eyes would trump your backup camera's view.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill V View Post
Hi Steve!

Our camera gets its feed from the back up light circuit so no interference issue. The receiver (mirror mounted LCD screen) did cause some issues on ours. I added a switch for the ability to shut it down as needed. Hope this helps!

73!
Bill - N7YGU
If I am going to put a camera in, I want it both as an eye on whatever is back there and recording in a continuous loop. Video of an accident goes a long way in preempting confused reports. Like a dash cam to the rear. Being on at all times will make the RF issue more of a problem.

Thanks!
Steve, W8IZ
Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
Steve,

What sort of interference are you concerned with? Backup camera video feed causing noise in your radio, or video problems when transmitting on your ham radio?

Most backup cameras only operate when in reverse, so I'd expect the interference to the radio, if present, would be relatively rare. If it's video interference that's the concern, I'd again point out that backing up is done rarely compared to just driving, and suggest that time spent talking on your radio while backing up would be vanishingly small.

The use case for radio use while backing up is using a pair of hand-held radios, ham, FRS, or GMRS, for someone outside your rig to guide your maneuver. In that case, their eyes would trump your backup camera's view.
Thanks but I want continuous monitoring and recording. Like a dash cam to the rear. That will provide evidence to preempt confused reports should there be an accident. It will allow me to monitor whatever I have back there. It will help me back up. It might, with the proper application of a Raspberry Pi, provide security.

Being on all the time makes RF an issue.

Steve