Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Booster, thanks for taking the time to write a very informative reply.

I am coming around to thinking that your statements about reflectors is what I am facing. I think that no matter what bulbs I put in, it won't make the difference I am looking for. Regarding your 2009 CRV comment. It's interesting you mention the Honda. I have a new Honda Pilot and the headlights are hands down, by far the best headlights I have EVER had in a motor vehicle. I do believe it is a result of BOTH the LED bulb AND the reflector. It's rare that I get "flashed" at night on low beam. Of the few times it does happen, it's usually just before I am cresting a hill and there is an oncoming car. The car is tilted slightly upwards.

I think I am going to put this on the back burner for now (I've got bigger fish to fry in the RT). AC replacement, possible fridge thermostat replacement (pulling the fridge) et al. I'll just try and keep my night time driving to a minimum or just go slower. Though you have piqued my curiosity with a complete set of some type of add-on lights. I've seen some pickups, and SUVs set up for off road with some pretty elaborate lighting systems. I suspect many are not legal for use on public ways, but perhaps some are.

BTW, re eyesight, I am far from my 20's as well.

Perhaps a topic for another post. Your comment re height of lights/tall vehicles. I'm sure I'll take some heat from the folks that like to customize (raise) their vehicles. I get it. But from a safety perspective, like you allude to in your post, I think there should be some kind of height regulation for headlights, with exceptions for "specialty" vehicles like construction type or other "one-off" vehicles. Not to a single specific height, but perhaps an acceptable range that wouldn't be detrimental to oncoming traffic or vehicles directly in front of you (rear view), but still be acceptable to the motoring public.
PJW73NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:03 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Booster et al.... I just had to share this over here. I've been frequenting the Roadtrek Facebook groups. After a few conversations over there, these came highly recommended.

http://https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTE...5-4be35d7258cc

I pulled the trigger on them last week, but being in the middle of an AC R&R, I had the ladders set up and couldn't take it for a ride.

With the AC project completed yesterday, I finally got a chance to take it out for a ride and just came back from a dark night run with the new 9006 Beamtech LED low beams. OMG !!!! Night and day difference. Just ordered the 9005 Beamtech high beams.

I can not believe the difference. I had to stop and adjust the alignment a few times, but WOW !!!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!! My only concern is the passive heat sink. Now, as long as they last a reasonable amount of time, I'll be VERY happy. Not a bad deal at $37.

Just wanted to share.

PS. Being LEDs they are polarity sensitive, if they don't work when you connect them, turn the pigtail connector around. No splicing necessary.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJW73NH View Post
Booster et al.... I just had to share this over here. I've been frequenting the Roadtrek Facebook groups. After a few conversations over there, these came highly recommended.

http://https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTE...5-4be35d7258cc

I pulled the trigger on them last week, but being in the middle of an AC R&R, I had the ladders set up and couldn't take it for a ride.

With the AC project completed yesterday, I finally got a chance to take it out for a ride and just came back from a dark night run with the new 9006 Beamtech LED low beams. OMG !!!! Night and day difference. Just ordered the 9005 Beamtech high beams.

I can not believe the difference. I had to stop and adjust the alignment a few times, but WOW !!!!! WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!! My only concern is the passive heat sink. Now, as long as they last a reasonable amount of time, I'll be VERY happy. Not a bad deal at $37.

Just wanted to share.

PS. Being LEDs they are polarity sensitive, if they don't work when you connect them, turn the pigtail connector around. No splicing necessary.
Thanks for the heads up.

I can't seem to get the linky to work, though.

Edit to add:

Did some hunting, are these the correct ones?

https://smile.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-He...ype=automotive

I'm seeing challenges with mounting in newer(not quite as old as my 2000 Chevy) Chevies. Can I ask your year and any challenges aside from a re-aim?
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Yes SteveJ. Sorry. I thought I tested the link before posting. Your item is correct. This should work too.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...s%2C162&sr=8-6

My year is 2002 Chevy Express 3500 cutaway (2003 Roadtrek 200 Popular, on a 2002 Chevy chassis). They went in "without a hitch". The heat sink is just small enough to get the bulb into the passenger side low beam housing without having to remove the battery. No tricks or issues. Just watch the polarity. It's a trial and error thing. No damage to bulb or car if connected incorrectly.

Also, I have DRL, and these work just fine. No flicker, no RFI, no "run on" as some have reported. I just hope they last.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #25
Platinum Member

It looks like LED element is close in size to tungsten filament so optically they should work well. At 6500K is this light a little on the blue side. I think 4500K is commonly used factory standard.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Hi George. You are correct. These bulbs are very close in "geometry" to an incandescent filament type OEM bulb which I believe is why they work as well as they do in a "reflector" type housing.

The light is not blue at all. Not a trace. It is very white/bright. In fact, right now I have the OEM high beams still in. When I switch the high beams on, the lows go off. The resulting high beam light appears VERY orange/yellow in comparison to the new low beams. Hopefully the high beams will be equally as impressive.

I hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes SteveJ. Sorry. I thought I tested the link before posting. Your item is correct. This should work too.

https://www.amazon.com/BEAMTECH-Head...s%2C162&sr=8-6

My year is 2002 Chevy Express 3500 cutaway (2003 Roadtrek 200 Popular, on a 2002 Chevy chassis). They went in "without a hitch". The heat sink is just small enough to get the bulb into the passenger side low beam housing without having to remove the battery. No tricks or issues. Just watch the polarity. It's a trial and error thing. No damage to bulb or car if connected incorrectly.

Also, I have DRL, and these work just fine. No flicker, no RFI, no "run on" as some have reported. I just hope they last.
They should work, then. Thanks.

I'm going to hold off until you get the high beams in and checked out for aiming issues. I'm heading to MN for some dispersed camping, pulling out on the 26th. I can get them delivered to my brother's house up there iff'n it all works out.

BTW, I have pulled the fuse on my DRL.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
Platinum Member

SteveJ, As far as I can tell there is NO alignment adjustment on the high beams (that I can find). When I adjust the lows, the associated high adjusts with it. This has been challenging all along. I suspect the high beams will be too high when I get them in, but I am not willing to sacrifice the lows for the few times I use the highs. Well see. I'll report back here when I get them in and taken them for a good test ride.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
SteveJ, As far as I can tell there is NO alignment adjustment on the high beams (that I can find). When I adjust the lows, the associated high adjusts with it. This has been challenging all along. I suspect the high beams will be too high when I get them in, but I am not willing to sacrifice the lows for the few times I use the highs. Well see. I'll report back here when I get them in and taken them for a good test ride.
Interesting. The lows are that much better, eh?

The lows and highs are in my Amazon cart, just waiting to pull the trigger. Please note, do not rush on my account. I'm just happy to hear of a good solution.

Tags
headlights, roadtrek 200