Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2022, 02:30 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I general, I would agree with statement for gas engines, but there certainly are exceptions these days, IMO. For any use it can be a waste of money would be a primary reason.

If you live in an area of ethanol required fuel for vehicles, they sometimes will have a "pure premium" pump that is ethanol free.

In the Onans the ethanol gas can go bad an plug them up in as little as 3 weeks per my testing when we had one, but with the premium fuel out Onan could sit for months without issue.

Sometimes the premium fuel will have a better additive and detergent package in it, but I don't think that is necessarily the case any more. Again IMO, using Top Tier gas that has the better detergent package in it does the most good in the additive area.

The logic behind the no premium unless necessary for knock control idea is because, at least in the past fuel mixtures, premium would cause slightly hiring rates of deposit buildup in the engine. My guess is that is probably not really much of an issue any more as I have seen the insides of several engines that ran only premium for 100K miles or more without excessive buildup.

Here in Minnesota we have ethanol required, but also have the premium without available for small engines, boats, offroad vehicles, etc. It is also allowed for any vehicle over 20 years old so I am legally allowed to run it my 1996 Roadmaster wagon, which I do because it runs better, gets better mileage, and was not initially designed to handle ethanol in the fuel. The fuel level gauges in particular fail early on ethanol fuel in them.

It is also pretty common here for those with gas motorhomes to put the premium in before storing the RV for the winter, especially if it is outside all winter. Far less issues in the spring getting them running well again, especially if they have an Onan. Our Roadtrek 6.0 chevy sits inside in a climate controlled area, so we have not had issues with it sitting all winter with ethanol fuel in it as long as it is Top Tier, which is all we ever use in our vehicles.

We do run the premium no ethanol in all the small engines, lawnmower, lawn tractor, snow blower, 2 cycle tools, pressure washer and we have never had a carb gum up since we started doing that decades ago and no engines have had any problems because of it.

If there is new data out there, I would certainly like to see what it says for reasons not to use premium in some engines that don't need it for knock control, as I don't know of any reason other than cost consderation.
Thank you Booster.

Here in CA, I buy Premium for the sane reason I breathe fresh air, it's necessary for Life.

Even though in the last 17 days in Los Angeles Gas prices have increased 15 times in 17 days.

I don't always buy Techron, etc & usually buy Gas on average 23-38 cents per gallon cheaper than the more expensive pump locations.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:48 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Feel free to use premium. My guy made it clear to stay away. 40+ years experience, I think he knows what he's talking about. I don't have time to do all the research, but I do recall reading that the premium is bad for these types of engines.
I asked my guy, OLIPHANT Generator Repair in San Fernando Valley, also 40 plus years what the best Gas to use was & he said "that which you feel comfortable running your rig on.."

And that running the higher quality gas is better for the main 6.0 engine. This is supported by all my Mechanic's.

Now for a period of first owning the rig in 2011-12 I did run 87 & occasionally had issues. Now it's very rare but I did have an $800 Generator service in 2018.

The culprit at the time for it needing the service, a $2.00 piece of plastic that developed a wearing away/rubbing point on its surface that could only be accessed by taking the unit out. Part of that $800 was the installation of a "junction box"* for future maintenance needs.

*not quite sure what this is, I never questioned the owner, no-one does. He is The Professional everyone who owns an RV Repair business or a Food Truck, go to.

Keeping an eye on the oil levels

Regularly checking the Oil & replacing the Spark Plug every 2 years while replacing the Oil every year

Making sure to run the Seafoam occasionally on a 1/3rd tank if there is ever an issue (works fantastic on my Italian Scooters with Carbs, makes no difference on the Italians with Fuel Injection)

Running the unit regularly often under load

And making sure that the Fuse sits firmly in the contact have eliminated all my Generator issues
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 02-21-2022, 02:52 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Feel free to use premium. My guy made it clear to stay away. 40+ years experience, I think he knows what he's talking about. I don't have time to do all the research, but I do recall reading that the premium is bad for these types of engines.
If my Generator used a separate Gas Tank, one might have a choice.

Separate from above, the challenge all of us owners will face in the future, is that when these 40 year guys get close to retiring, they do & we are left with the replace versus repair types.
Old 02-21-2022, 04:05 PM   #24
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedious View Post
The other problem is it ONLY Runs when Im literally holding the Start Button down.
Try the easy things first.
Pick a warm day if possible.
Make sure spark plug is not loose and its wire is firmly seated.
Make sure that all appliances are off. (AC accidentally left on?)
Run the van engine when starting this first time. It'll provide charge to the house battery and allow several consistent attempts.
Push the start button for up to 10 seconds.
If that does not work, wait 30 seconds and try again, but this time, hold the button for all 10 seconds.
Repeat several times if needed. If still no luck, I'd replace the fuel filter, then resort to some of the other ideas mentioned.

2002 Great West Van Classic built on 360ci Dodge 3500 Ram Van
rogerstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:50 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Here is a link to the first one that showed up on a quick Google search.https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com...l-engines.html
I have no idea if this guy is qualified or unqualified to be considered an expert, as he is just giving an opinion with some information to back it up, on the internet like millions of others that sometimes right and often not right on any given topic.
Bottom line in the link, premium is not a bad thing but isn't any better than regular in a small engine. I agree with that.
Penalty with premium is cost only. I agree with that.
Stay away from anything ethanol laced as it is death for small engines in many cases. I totally agree with that.
Use Top Tier fuel as it has better additives. I agree with that.

My point is and was in the my first post, given the choice of putting in premium with no ethanol and regular with ethanol, the choice for me is simple because small engines use very little fuel so cost increase is small. The risk of ethanol damage is much, much greater than the minor cost increase hurts.

In Minnesota there is no choice. If you want no ethanol, you get premium.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:34 PM   #26
Platinum Member

When on the road, during the limited times I've run the generator, I have to run it on whatever's in the tank which usually includes ethanol.

When back at home, during the limited driving we do in our van around town, I pay up for ethanol-free knowing the extra cost will keep the gas fresher and it will be the only gas in my genny during it's monthly "exercise".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
When on the road, during the limited times I've run the generator, I have to run it on whatever's in the tank which usually includes ethanol.

When back at home, during the limited driving we do in our van around town, I pay up for ethanol-free knowing the extra cost will keep the gas fresher and it will be the only gas in my genny during it's monthly "exercise".

That use is typical, but hasn't been mentioned to this point, I think. So good you put it up.

With more frequent use and more frequent fills with fresh gas in the van, the chances of the ethanol causing a problem are very low unless you get a batch that is full of water. Of course that will cause issues with the van also.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote