Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #1

Arrow Help With My Onan Generator

Hi All - Bit of a newbie with my Leisure Van
I have an Onan Microlite 2800
Trying to get it work, Having some difficulty and looking for some suggestions.
Checked the "common" problems
Couple things, Its SUPER Loud - Not sure why that is
Does the Generator need to be running to Produce electricity and does it produce electricity in the Start Mode?
The other problem is it ONLY Runs when Im literally holding the Start Button down. It doesn't release the Starter solenoid ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have pictures too if anyone needs.
arcamedious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedious View Post
Hi All - Bit of a newbie with my Leisure Van
I have an Onan Microlite 2800
Trying to get it work, Having some difficulty and looking for some suggestions.
Checked the "common" problems
Couple things, Its SUPER Loud - Not sure why that is
Does the Generator need to be running to Produce electricity and does it produce electricity in the Start Mode?
The other problem is it ONLY Runs when Im literally holding the Start Button down. It doesn't release the Starter solenoid ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I have pictures too if anyone needs.
The loudness is the genny itself. You can install a resonator. Helps with pitch but not loudness. It becomes a bit less irritating.
Genny needs to be running to produce electricity. It is recommended to allow it to run for 5 minutes before loading it.
I do not know about it stopping?
Check the # of hours on genny. Suppose to be exercised 1-2 hours/month under load. If not could be a fuel problem, carburetor gas turned to varnish?
Old 02-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Check the oil level. If the oil sensor senses that you are low on oil the generator will not run. I believe the sensor, by design, is disabled while you are holding down the start button.
DaveBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:21 AM   #4
Platinum Member

You also need at least a quarter tank of gas in the gas tank or it will not fire up. If you have that, you can throw in a can of SeaFoam Gas Additive. You mention you have to continuously hold the Start down - try pushing the Start twice slowly and then hold it down for about ten seconds or so. There is also another Start/Stop Switch on the Generator, you want to check that one out.
Old 02-14-2022, 02:54 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Lots of info on this website:
https://www.flightsystems.com/

You need to understand that the generator will not run after releasing the start button if it is not generating 115 volts or the oil level is low.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I installed two lawn mower type mufflers on my Onan 2.8 and it is much quieter, Installed one 1.5ft after the generator and the other 1ft from the exhaust end. Cost was less than $30.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:49 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Sounds interesting
Old 02-14-2022, 08:22 PM   #8
Platinum Member

SEAFOAM, one to two bottles into a quarter of a tank or slightly more.

Of high octane gas.

Wait at least an hour before starting or driving it around fir 15 minutes.

Sometimes it is easier to get a better connection starting it at the unit itself.

Make sure you have enough oil.

Sometimes having the engine running & well maintained batteries for a few minutes as you attempt to start it makes a difference.

After 5 minutes of getting it running, put it under load for an hour or so.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #9

I had close to the same problem. Check the breather tube for an obstruction--it should have a sock or screen over it but that sock could have disappeared. I had a dirt dabber built a nest in mine. Once I cleaned the dirt out, the 2800 worked perfectly.
treking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 05:56 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I like that idea.
What about back presure?
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 06:11 PM   #11

I had the hold the starter problem on my same model. It was the relay switch very simple to change unplug the old one, plug in the new one. Get help locating it use the numbers on the switch to locate the replacement on Amazon, probably less than $50. The other simple solutions suggested would be what I'd try first. Good luck happy camping!
TrekkerTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:15 PM   #12

If this turns into a potentially expensive repair look into the new HGLAA generators that replace the old HGJBB model that you likely have. They are inverter rather than rotor regulated and so much quieter. It's expensive, $4,000 or so to purchase and have it installed, but I had mine replaced last summer and it makes a big difference.
RogerY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:03 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treking View Post
I had close to the same problem. Check the breather tube for an obstruction--it should have a sock or screen over it but that sock could have disappeared. I had a dirt dabber built a nest in mine. Once I cleaned the dirt out, the 2800 worked perfectly.

I think the breather issue was only on the propane generators, and the OP has an older Leisure so almost certainly gas.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 02:21 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
SEAFOAM, one to two bottles into a quarter of a tank or slightly more.

Of high octane gas.

Wait at least an hour before starting or driving it around fir 15 minutes.

Sometimes it is easier to get a better connection starting it at the unit itself.

Make sure you have enough oil.

Sometimes having the engine running & well maintained batteries for a few minutes as you attempt to start it makes a difference.

After 5 minutes of getting it running, put it under load for an hour or so.
Never put high octane gas in the generator. Bad advice. Issue is most likely low oil or the starter switches have been know to go bad. Definitely chackbthe oil though.
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:54 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post
Never put high octane gas in the generator. Bad advice. Issue is most likely low oil or the starter switches have been know to go bad. Definitely chackbthe oil though.
Correction; please inform us why it's bad advice to run a Generator on high octane gas?

Especially when our rigs draw from the same gas tank.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 02-21-2022, 10:40 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Because my Onan independent tech with 40+ years experience says so. LOL All kidding aside, small engines have a different burn rate than our chassis engines. Your chassis has a computer to make adjustments to fuel (Unlike the old days when you tuned a car, you tuned it for one grade only) and your Onan does not! Applying premium gas on small Generators can easily lead difficulties in ignition and eventual damage to the Generator. Onan recommends 87 octane. Very common for small engines, lawn mowers, snowblowers etc. Do you DD. Seafoam is fine and also gas stabilizers help if you plan to keep it in storage
Old 02-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTom View Post

I general, I would agree with statement for gas engines, but there certainly are exceptions these days, IMO. For any use it can be a waste of money would be a primary reason.

If you live in an area of ethanol required fuel for vehicles, they sometimes will have a "pure premium" pump that is ethanol free.

In the Onans the ethanol gas can go bad an plug them up in as little as 3 weeks per my testing when we had one, but with the premium fuel out Onan could sit for months without issue.

Sometimes the premium fuel will have a better additive and detergent package in it, but I don't think that is necessarily the case any more. Again IMO, using Top Tier gas that has the better detergent package in it does the most good in the additive area.

The logic behind the no premium unless necessary for knock control idea is because, at least in the past fuel mixtures, premium would cause slightly hiring rates of deposit buildup in the engine. My guess is that is probably not really much of an issue any more as I have seen the insides of several engines that ran only premium for 100K miles or more without excessive buildup.

Here in Minnesota we have ethanol required, but also have the premium without available for small engines, boats, offroad vehicles, etc. It is also allowed for any vehicle over 20 years old so I am legally allowed to run it my 1996 Roadmaster wagon, which I do because it runs better, gets better mileage, and was not initially designed to handle ethanol in the fuel. The fuel level gauges in particular fail early on ethanol fuel in them.

It is also pretty common here for those with gas motorhomes to put the premium in before storing the RV for the winter, especially if it is outside all winter. Far less issues in the spring getting them running well again, especially if they have an Onan. Our Roadtrek 6.0 chevy sits inside in a climate controlled area, so we have not had issues with it sitting all winter with ethanol fuel in it as long as it is Top Tier, which is all we ever use in our vehicles.

We do run the premium no ethanol in all the small engines, lawnmower, lawn tractor, snow blower, 2 cycle tools, pressure washer and we have never had a carb gum up since we started doing that decades ago and no engines have had any problems because of it.

If there is new data out there, I would certainly like to see what it says for reasons not to use premium in some engines that don't need it for knock control, as I don't know of any reason other than cost consderation.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Try this trouble shooting guide for Onans.

They can be a real pain, especially if neglected. Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf onan-rv-troubleshooting-guide.pdf (2.08 MB, 20 views)
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 01:37 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Feel free to use premium. My guy made it clear to stay away. 40+ years experience, I think he knows what he's talking about. I don't have time to do all the research, but I do recall reading that the premium is bad for these types of engines.
Old 02-21-2022, 02:22 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Jim View Post
Try this trouble shooting guide for Onans.

They can be a real pain, especially if neglected. Good luck.
THANK YOU Jim

Excellent points!