Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2022, 04:31 PM   #1

Default Hot Water Heater Suggestions...

Unfortunately my tank cracked and am trying to decide if I should replace the system with the same, but new, system

I have the Atwood model number GH6-6E - (its old so I would replace the entire unit not just the tank)

Was also looking into the Suburban Advantage upgrade water heater

or the

Suburban tankless, continuous water heater.

I have a 19 gallon fresh water tank.

Just seeing if anyone has used these other products, or would recommend one over the other. Thanks!
doristhexploris92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 04:47 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would suggest not to use instant water heater due to high water usage. You could consider Malaga https://propexcanada.com/product/malaga-5-water-heater/.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:23 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doristhexploris92 View Post
Unfortunately my tank cracked and am trying to decide if I should replace the system with the same, but new, system

I have the Atwood model number GH6-6E - (its old so I would replace the entire unit not just the tank)

Was also looking into the Suburban Advantage upgrade water heater

or the

Suburban tankless, continuous water heater.

I have a 19 gallon fresh water tank.

Just seeing if anyone has used these other products, or would recommend one over the other. Thanks!
Replaced our Girrard with a Truma Comfort. The Truma has a small(ltr) tank which stays heated. I would recommend the Truma Comfort plus if you can plumb a recirculation line to it. This will will allow you to have instant hot water without wasting any/much water. I pretty much get instant hot water since I have a small heated holding tank. The Girrard did not and much water was wasted. Tanked water heaters save water but it means you will have extra weight of water and energy keeping it hot.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default No experience with the referred to water heaters ... Ours is electric and we love it

Quote:

Don

Our 2012 RT Ranger came with a 2.5 gallon eemax "electric only" hot water heater. We do not use much hot water and consider this unit perfect for our needs. A portable plug in unit that mounts inside our clothes closet, it is easily removed, drained, flushed and stored in our house each October as part of winterizing. My guess is that it takes up less space than propane water heaters.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 03:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Doris, what rig is it installed in? I have a '96 Roadtrek and while the gas water heater seems to be working fine, I suspect I may ultimately need to do the same.
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:11 PM   #6

Truma AquaGo Comfort. Low gas consumption (throttles burner based on flow and temp), maintains 120 degrees from a trickle to full open of two faucets. With installation kits, is a near direct replacement for the standard tank models. Lighter (no water held in a tank). And for the person who thinks more water use, in "Comfort" mode, 1 L of water is kept at 100 degrees and ready for immediate use. Fact is even in ECO mode, it takes less than 12 oz to full on "hot". You use more water from the line between the Truma and the tap than for it to heat. We leave ours in eco mode 90% of the time. If we are going to shower, flip it to Comfort and in less than 60 seconds have 120 degree water waiting for the "endless shower" if at FHU location.....and even if taking the "submarine" shower, hot and quick. Will need to find an authorize installer (call Truma) or take the coach to Elkhart,IN or Lakeland, FL for factory install. Four motor homes, two with tanks, two with Truma....I will never go back.....did I say, it "sips" LP?.... I love technology that really works and works well!
Rusczyk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Just replace like for like and forget about the instant etc. Nothing wrong with what you have, easier to replace like for like due to installation, and lastly it cracked for a reason and I suspect it was not cared for or winterized...just saying
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:23 PM   #8

Go for the tankless. I work on them all year ,u save money in the long run
Georgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water heater, tankless, water heater