Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How are Volta units doing over time?

Lithium systems are proliferating very quickly and products are, hopefully, maturing with the longer real world feedback that is out there by now. Recommendations are still all over the map for how to use and store them, but do seem to be drifting to more conservative recommendations of lower charge rates, SOC usable limits (or not), predicted life, etc. Prices have dropped so much that some of the life issues are nearly gone from being a major issue if shorter than the original claims as they are approaching AGM pricing.
Pretty much all the information we see here is in relation to the LiFePo4 chemistry batteries as that is what the industry has settled on, probably based on safety and long life.
There is still one early player in the high end systems around that is using the automotive style Lithium ion batteries, Volta. They are large, integrated, drop in systems so only Volta's responsibility so no extraneous multiple vendor stuff involved.
We have known for a long time the expected life of the lithium ion batteries in phones is rated at under 1000 cycles by some amount. 700 cycles appears to be commonly given. AFAIK the auto makers claim more often in years of life, I think. If Volta is aging like the phone batteries do and has the 1000 cycle life prediction, it would be lower than high end AGM batteries like Lifeline, at least at 50% discharge. Many of the LiFePo4 batteries used to claim 5000+ cycles but currently we see some in the 2000 if a large range of SOC is used so getting closer to the Volta style rating.

We have heard of some well designed early systems that are getting weak and at 80% original capacity at about year 8, which would require about 250 relatively large charge cycles per year to get to 2000, which is way more than many of us do in real use, I think. Most systems don't keep track of charge of cycles though (Volta may) so we don't know how many cycles they had on them.
The RV sites that I see, mainly here, don't really have any Volta users so hard to determine what is going on with them over time.

I did just look at the warranty on Volta currently as that can be a indicator of life sometimes.
The current Volta warranty is 36 months, 36K miles, or 1000 cycles, whichever comes first, which is really quite low, I think. The miles and months would come up very quickly for a reasonably large number of new van buyers who do a bunch of traveling in the very common touring style of near daily driving with short stops along the way. 120 days a year at 100 miles average per day would get you there. Even for us, who like to stay put in one place more than many folks, getting to near 1000 miles a week is not hard at all. 12 weeks a year of travel would get you to the 36K miles in three years.

The guess is that the Voltas are more likely to last to number of cycle claim of 1000 cycles (of unknown depth though so if shallow charging counts it could be not so good), but once it is 3 years old you have no warranty.

Lots of stuff has warranties that short and we don't worry about as we build that in to the decision making before buying, but replacing a Volta battery is probably quite expensive compared to the more common RV LiFePo4 batteries, might put it in a more risky category. Lithium batteries in RVs are touted for very long life, so many shoppers would probably be surpised.

Of interest to me in general on this topic is the last few years some automakers have switched at least some of the electric vehicles to LiFePo4 if what I have read is correct.
I am not saying Volta is a bad system, and it is very possible the integrated system is able to give as long or longer life in an RV type use, but with what I have been able to find I have no real idea of actual. When they came out they were far ahead of the pack in how they did it with the high voltage and fully integrated setup and that has not changed.
The fact that we haven't heard of major problems or recalls, is encouraging.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote