Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default how do you keep solar cells from being stolen ?

i saw this simlar post on another forum and what they are talking about is on a raised roof of a van , i had also thought and wondered about the same thing as some people will steal anything that isn't nailed down ! here is a link to the other forum and what they said .
But would like others opinions on here to .
http://www.cheaprvlivingforum.com/post/ ... ls-5899572
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: how do you keep solar cells from being stolen ?

You can buy unique fasteners that require a special tool but they are probably expensive.

I don't take any special precautions.
Solar panels are not as valuable as they were just a few years ago. Maybe less than $2 per watt now so less reason for someone to steal them.
I use a self leveling caulk like Dicor to cover any screws, nuts or bolts on roof mounted items. It would be a real nuisance for someone to scrape it off to find the fasteners underneath.
And, once the panels are mounted to the roof, you would not have space to get a tool on both the nut and bolt to separate the panel from the bracket. The bolt would probably just spin and frustrate a would be thief.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Gold Member

Thanks some good points you mentioned , i'll make notes of it . By the way just because something isn't as worth as much any more never stops a thief from trying to steal it and sell it for scrap aluminum , etc. especially meth heads and dope users , these people would steal the dentures out of your mouth if they could.
another thought i had was maybe if you have to drill through the roof and or sided of frame install the round end bolts , the ones where the nut has to be lossened from the inside only . especially if the frame brace attaches on the outside of the solar cells up top .
lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I'd check with Bryce Fastener to see if they have something. If you have the $$$, they can make a fastener that only your "key-bit" will work with.

This won't stop a tweaker from getting out the Sawzall, but it is better than nothing.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Mount them inside the van?
Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Using the "tamperproof" fasteners would take care of 99% of folks. Most crooks aren't running around with lots of the special tools. As was stated, solar panels are getting cheaper, so if it is hard, or risky, to grab them, the bad guys will go elsewhere. Just like having good locks or an alarm at home, they will go next door.

But, and this is a big but (pun intended), which would you rather have? Crooks unbolt an take your $150 solar panel twice (if it is easy to get off) or have them pry the brackets off the roof with a crowbar, breaking up the fiberglass once (hard to remove). In the world of meth heads, the crowbar is probably the method of choice.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote