Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 03:45 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default How many amps through roadtrek 12 volt plugs

Good at to all.. I have a 2003 roadtrek 190 popular. In the rear where the tv in the roller tambour box was located ...there is 2 x 12 volt cigerette plugs that have power. My question is how many amps can I use through them ???...I cannot find a specific amp limit in my manual. I would like to use some 12 volt appliances such as toaster coffe etc while boon docking...... but I am concerned how many amps I can draw through. Thanks in advance for your answers... . To to head off discussion my intention would be to top up the single 100 amp hour deep cycle AGM house battery while boon docking with a go power 120 watt portable solar panels. Thanks again for your advice
Buggybumpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:29 AM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Those 12v outlets are good for reading lights or small fans. I doubt you can use them for coffee maker or toaster.

Check the labels on your toaster and coffee maker. How many amps do they draw? You can calculate how much battery power you should have. Also what wire gauge thickness you need, and how big a fuse to install.

You have 1x 100 AH battery?
That's not much.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Thanks for the reply... yes my unit only came with one house battery in the rear...
Old 03-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

My RT comes wired with some pretty stout wiring. Check the fuse but it sh/be good for 15 or 20 amps.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #5
Silver Member

Default The fuse is the limit

That outlet is powered by a circuit from the 12 volt distribution panel and has a fuse. The fuse is the limit of the circuit and the outlet. If you're not sure which one it is just plug something in the outlet and pull fuses until it turns off. Please resist the temptation to install a larger fuse as you could then draw more current than the wiring and outlet were designed to carry.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Folks thanks for the advice truly appreciate the feedback
Best regards..
Old 03-05-2017, 03:50 AM   #7
Bronze Member

So found the fuse it's labeled TV/ REC (recorder) both plugs run on the same circuit of 15 amps... the wiring is a thick gauge so quite confident that 12 volt coffe maker and other appliances ( less than 15 amps total) I will be able
to use with no issue. I removed the fuse to confirm the correct circuit. Again thanks to all for the input