Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 PM   #61
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
David- are you getting that new ARV lithium battery upgrade?
Gerry,

Not in my current van, Alvar. But it is enticing. I suspect every bit of the wiring is different. Besides, my current 800ah battery system performs as expected and the Delco alternator I did have upgraded is a quantum leap over the Nations. I can't grasp yet double the output claim of the Volta system. That is almost instant energy just starting your engine. I already get a consistent 280 amps at 50 mph and 220 amps at idle output with no degradation for an hour with my Delco. Imagine twice that? It would make solar insignificant with a high capacity battery system other than a trickle effect on battery storage. I've invested in a heated garage for storage so scratch that need.

You can get all the battery energy input equivalent to all the solar panels you can put on the roof of a Class B in the time you jockey for a level spot at the campsite. And you can park under the trees in the shade if you want to.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #62
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The point is the assumption flex panels are glued down on a Sprinter is a false statement as well as I am guessing the comment of 1-1/2" minimum is just as bogus rule of thumb without any reasoning other than assumed. The panels are lifted off the roof and air passes underneath. This is an actual photo of my panels and it is greater than 3/8". An air gap is an air gap. I'll take my stealth look close to the roof over any hiked up air dragging clunky look any day.
I questioned your original point of 1.5” gap which would be difficult to achieve with flex panels mounted on 1/8” ABS.

Lack of convection cooling can impact not hiked-up 10-25% PV efficiency.

With stealthy objective overriding your solar install I can understand that that clunky air dragging look will not fit your need. We all have different needs and ways to achieve them.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #63
Platinum Member

While this discussion about airgaps and flexible panels is informative and relevant, I posted that picture because I was a little surprised that the OEM supplier of solar for the Travato thought that it was OK to glue a panel down under a permanent shadow cast by the roof rack. It's one thing to have an antenna or what not cast a shadow at certain times of the day, but that rack will cover part of that panel all the time. And that panel was $350.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:44 PM   #64
BBQ
Platinum Member

There is a big difference in the rib structures.

The Promaster ribs are much wider

Half the flex solar panel is sitting "on" the ProMaster ribs.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg user178_pic653_1500637628.jpg (27.9 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 01:51 PM   #65
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
While this discussion about airgaps and flexible panels is informative and relevant, I posted that picture because I was a little surprised that the OEM supplier of solar for the Travato thought that it was OK to glue a panel down under a permanent shadow cast by the roof rack. It's one thing to have an antenna or what not cast a shadow at certain times of the day, but that rack will cover part of that panel all the time. And that panel was $350.
I would totally agree with what you are thinking. We don't know if there are isolation diodes in the panels, or not, so the severity could range from the entire panel being reduced output or some percent of it depending on how many zones they have in the panel. Our 100 watt Grape solar panels have two zones that look to be split the long direction of the panel, and we are wired in parallel on the panels, so 6 zones, but we still can see significant drops on output from partial shade. I would also caution folks not to totally believe the claims of "improved panels work well even in the shade". We have not found that to be true with ours, but of course it depends on how you define "work well".
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 02:05 PM   #66
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
I very much doubt this will work well, there is antenna in the back as well. But, there is good news in his installation, he didn’t use a staple gun to attached the flex panels along the roof ribs.

The front of the panel seems as experiencing some delamination, a big issue with flex panels. So even if panels will work with low efficiency likely nor for long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20155643_157327954825621_1412989251302978941_n.jpg (36.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 PM   #67
BBQ
Platinum Member

That "delamination" looks like a packaging wrapping from the factory.

I don't think they would be so dumb as to install a brand new panel that is already delaminating.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #68
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
That "delamination" looks like a packaging wrapping from the factory.
After a second look, you could be correct.

Quote:
I don't think they would be so dumb as to install a brand new panel that is already delaminating.
Let’s hope, mounting under the roof rack exposes a lot about the installer know how.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #69
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
After a second look, you could be correct.

Let’s hope, mounting under the roof rack exposes a lot about the installer know how.

True LOL

Let's hope so.
Old 09-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #70
BBQ
Platinum Member

This Solar-Powered RV Runs Without Fuel Or Chargin

Old 09-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #71
Platinum Member

Wow, the numbers sure don't add up on that one.

100 miles on a 228ah battery.

3000 watts gives continuous driving and housepower. 3000 watts is like 4hp, in perfect sun.

I think those guys have been out in the sun too long
Old 09-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #72
Platinum Member

Thaanks for sharing. The camper electrical system designed and build by Victron, interesting heating using heat accumulators with phased change material.

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...ctron-onboard/
https://www.dethleffs.de/reiseziel-zukunft/
Old 09-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #73
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Wow, the numbers sure don't add up on that one.

100 miles on a 228ah battery.

3000 watts gives continuous driving and housepower. 3000 watts is like 4hp, in perfect sun.

I think those guys have been out in the sun too long
400V makes big difference. Na/NiCl2 battteries for the electric motor and Li for the camper.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:26 PM   #74
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
400V makes big difference. Na/NiCl2 battteries for the electric motor and Li for the camper.
Yes, the 400v does make the 100 miles more reasonable as I think that would give them something like 120hp hours, and 60 hp to move the rig 50mph is reasonable, I would guess. So 2 hours at 50mph on a full charge.

But it would still take 30 hours of full solar output to get to the 90K ish watt-hours that the batteries have, and most of the panels are going to be at way under full output based on position. I think you would get your 100 miles about once every week or two, it the sun was good.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #75
BBQ
Platinum Member

For the boondocker who needs a lot of solar

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ief-ncna808111

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #76
Site Team

Quote:
For the boondocker who needs a lot of solar

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ief-ncna808111
You could sell power to your neighbors.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #77
Platinum Member

OK, as a complete aside, I wonder why they felt the need to mess with the image. You can easily tell that they fuzzed out some stuff at the top and added astro-turf green over the desert sand...

It just looks plain weird and that makes me suspicious of the rest of the story.