Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default How my draw does a "Converter" use when on?

Good day to all, I appreciate all the knowledge that this forum provides... My question of the day is the following. I have a 2003 Roadtrek 190 when I press the "Battery on switch" and Not hooked up to external power but battery only. How much power does the converter draw if there are no other systems ( Lights, fans) on? 1 amp 2 amps in a day...... more......? Thanks.. I am sure someone has measured their draw

regards Dan
Buggybumpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggybumpers View Post
Good day to all, I appreciate all the knowledge that this forum provides... My question of the day is the following. I have a 2003 Roadtrek 190 when I press the "Battery on switch" and Not hooked up to external power but battery only. How much power does the converter draw if there are no other systems ( Lights, fans) on? 1 amp 2 amps in a day...... more......? Thanks.. I am sure someone has measured their draw

regards Dan
Turning on the battery switch does not turn on the "converter", which comes on with shore power. It does turn on the 12v power from the batteries. Factory monitors and such will use between 1/2 and one amp, lights and such are all different so would need to be measured or spec checked.

If you turn on the "inverter" if you have one, so you can run 110v AC stuff, it will take around 1.5 amps of DC from the batteries, even without any loads on it.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

If your "Battery On" switch is used to drive a solenoid connector,
then yes, it will use power.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

If your "Battery On" switch is used to drive a solenoid connector,
then yes, it will use power.

Roadtrek usually uses the bistable relays that only use power switching, so he shouldn't see the load from turning it on, except for a tiny pulse.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
Platinum Member

for a definitive which applies to YOUR RV, you could use an ammeter in between the battery and the vehicle to measure how much if any current is flowing when you "think" everything is off.

many things use some power ( vampires) such as a tv, clock, smoke/co detectors etc

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Thanks to all... to clarify I do not have a inverter.. and understand about the converter what it does... the question is while "on battery" with the switch in the on position (where I have the option to run a Fan and or lights but do not)... there must be a power draw just because the 12 volt system is energized. That's what I am curious about
thanks
Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks to all... to clarify I do not have a inverter.. and understand about the converter what it does... the question is while "on battery" with the switch in the on position (where I have the option to run a Fan and or lights but do not)... there must be a power draw just because the 12 volt system is energized. That's what I am curious about
thanks
As I mentioned, there is no draw because the system is energized except the little led on the switch, which is essentially zero, as the relay takes none. Also as mentioned, the load from the detectors, which are always on if 12v is on will be between .5 and 1 amp, so that is as low as it will go.

What other information are you looking for? Yes, the relay does not use any power at all, either in the on or off position.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Thnaks for the quick reply so you are saying with no load other than the LED and the Propane/Mono detectors I would be looking at a draw of about 1 amp a day?? thank you for the reply..
Old 03-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thnaks for the quick reply so you are saying with no load other than the LED and the Propane/Mono detectors I would be looking at a draw of about 1 amp a day?? thank you for the reply..
We are back to confusing amps and amp hours, which are amps over time. 1 amp continuous will use 1 amp hour, per hour, from the battery, so it would be 24ah per day at 1 amp load all day and night. If folks talk about their battery capacity in amps, they are usually referring to the amp hour rating, and it really gets a lot of people confused.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Thank you got it .....24 amps pulled from the battery in a day.. appreciate the clarification...
Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thank you got it .....24 amps pulled from the battery in a day.. appreciate the clarification...
No---24 AMP-HOURS pulled from the battery in a day. Without the time portion on it you would be talking an instantaneous number, not a volume of power used. This is exactly why this gets so confusing for people here. I understand that quite a few people who know better also use amps instead of amp-hours, but all it does is confuse everyone except them. This confusion has gotten very common here lately, for some reason, and is making it very hard to help folks with their issues or questions.

I state this with the risk of sounding holier than thou semantic police, but it is really important in these situations.

96 amps for 15 minutes is the same amount of amp-hrs from the battery as 1 amp for 24 hours, but I don't think anyone would know it was 24 ah out of the battery if they were told 96 amps or 1 amp had been used, and nothing more.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:05 AM   #12
Bronze Member

You know...... I got it thanks....