How to drop the generator 2009 Roadtrek RS
2009 Roadtrek RS Adventurous, Onan 2500 LP
How to drop the generator
1. Turn off the propane and drain the propane line by lighting the stove.
2. Disconnect from Shore Power
3. Disconnect the battery. Note on my Roadtrek the generator starting cable is connected directly to the battery. No switch no fuse. You must physically disconnect the battery cables at the batteries.
4. Check again Shore Power, Battery disconnected, propane is off and the line drained.
5. 14mm socket. Disconnect the starter cable from positive post just forward of the drivers side rear axle.
6. Disconnect the remote control plug, forward drivers side next to the generator. Note this is intended to be a water tight connector, but on mine Roadtrek did not use any seals on the wires or plug the open holes, so I found corrosion in mine.
7. 19mm open end and medium adjustable. Disconnect the LP line. Use two wrenches or you will bend the brass fittings. Cap off the lines to keep contamination out.
8. 1/2" ratcheting box end, 14mm socket. Remove the exhaust pipe from the generator and two hangers. I removed the exhaust hanger from the generator to keep from bending it later.
9. Inside the RV disconnect the generator load wires from the transfer switch, loosen the conduit so the load wires can be push out. I remove the entire box for easier access.#2 Roberts bit, flat screwdriver. I cut out the RTV silicone around the conduit and replaced when reinstalling.
10. #2 Roberts, 14mm socket. Remove the clamp/hold-downs on the armor flex of the 120V output line.
11. 14mm socket. Loosen, but keep them engaged enough to hold the generator, the 4 bolts on the bottom of the hanging frame at each bottom corner of the generator.
12. Drop the generator, it weights 112 lbs. The balance point of the generator, looking at the access door, is about 1/3 from the left (drivers side), and centered front to back. I used a small floor jack, plywood and a 2x4, it was inelegant.
13. To remove the cover, you do not need to remove the elbow on the LP line. But in my case there was a 5/8" brass fitting that was sealed into the elbow. It took more force that I like to apply to brass. I used a 6 point socket on the adapter and a large adjustable on the elbow. When reinstalling I used yellow Teflon tape made for gases.
14. While you have the generator out, and level, check the oil level, do NOT screw the dipstick in to check level.
Consider checking the oil level once the genset is back in for a reference level.
Hope this helps someone
2009 Roadtrek RS Adventurous