Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How To Get a Wire Inside the Coach

Can someone tell me how they ran a wire from outside their rig into the interior? Specifically, what I am wanting to do is connect a battery monitor wire from the battery (outside) to a monitor on an interior wall. This is on a 2004 RoadTrek 190 Popular on the Chevy Express 3500 chassis. I would like to avoid drilling a hole. I looked underneath yesterday and didn't really see where I could run the connecting wire through to the interior. Any info would be much appreciated.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:38 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The previous owner of my van ran a wire for a backup camera alongside the wires for the taillights in the back. If you have the dual battery setup like my 2003 190 does, the rear battery is close to the back doors.

If that doesn't work for you, then my next thought is to run it alongside the battery cable & bring it in the van where that cable comes in.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
The previous owner of my van ran a wire for a backup camera alongside the wires for the taillights in the back. If you have the dual battery setup like my 2003 190 does, the rear battery is close to the back doors.

If that doesn't work for you, then my next thought is to run it alongside the battery cable & bring it in the van where that cable comes in.
I hadn't thought about the taillights route - thanks!
Old 11-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

1/2" drill bit. Carbide tip, titanium bit.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
1/2" drill bit. Carbide tip, titanium bit.
No No, a 12 Gage shotgun slug is simpler and 1/2 inch!

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:51 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
a 12 Gage shotgun slug is simpler
Always this.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:05 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I did this on my 210P. It takes a bit of ingenuity to pull it off. I installed my battery monitor on the AC/DC plastic panel (along with an AC monitor) I fished the wire down to the hole for the outside light switch from there, down to the side door post (drilled 3/8 in hole), from there back (using a fish tape) from there along the frame rail to the battery drawer. It took me several sessions of experimentation and poking to get the wire installed. I installed the shunt inside a 6 inch length of 2 inch CPVC sewer with caps on each end and ran a #2 cable to the negative battery terminal. The sewer pipe protects the shunt and connections from acid fumes and shorting. I tie wrapped the assembly to the rear of the battery drawer.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:48 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
I did this on my 210P. It takes a bit of ingenuity to pull it off. I installed my battery monitor on the AC/DC plastic panel (along with an AC monitor) I fished the wire down to the hole for the outside light switch from there, down to the side door post (drilled 3/8 in hole), from there back (using a fish tape) from there along the frame rail to the battery drawer. It took me several sessions of experimentation and poking to get the wire installed. I installed the shunt inside a 6 inch length of 2 inch CPVC sewer with caps on each end and ran a #2 cable to the negative battery terminal. The sewer pipe protects the shunt and connections from acid fumes and shorting. I tie wrapped the assembly to the rear of the battery drawer.
Hmm... now you got me thinking... I kinda like the way you did this. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I did it by running the wire inside the body structure holding the passenger side rear door hinges. You do have to remove the interior panel that holds the thermostat and a few screws on the one that runs across the back. With that you can get the wire to the thermostat area.

From there you can get to the aft facing panel on the passenger side to mount your monitor.
Harry 2003 C190P
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:59 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
I did it by running the wire inside the body structure holding the passenger side rear door hinges. You do have to remove the interior panel that holds the thermostat and a few screws on the one that runs across the back. With that you can get the wire to the thermostat area.

From there you can get to the aft facing panel on the passenger side to mount your monitor.
Harry 2003 C190P
So you connected the front or the rear battery...? And from the battery into the coach you went... how? Sorry but I'm not seeing this. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:29 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Rear battry...up the inside of the door post.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Default How To Get a Wire Inside The Coach

I had an '05 190P, and installed a macerator. To have the electric, I ran a wire thru the long side compartment, over and punched it thru a seal/boot that had wires going to the operations under the passenger side bed. I then hooked it up to a vacant slot. Don't know if this helps. Ron
Old 12-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
I had an '05 190P, and installed a macerator. To have the electric, I ran a wire thru the long side compartment, over and punched it thru a seal/boot that had wires going to the operations under the passenger side bed. I then hooked it up to a vacant slot. Don't know if this helps. Ron
yes that does indeed help - thanks sooo much!