Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 04:29 AM   #1

Default How to keep ProMaster chassis battery charged while in storage

How do ProMaster owners keep the chassis battery charged while in storage? I'm considering downsizing from a Mercedes based class C to a Pleasure Way Lexor TS. I keep my Mercedes on shore power at home and use a Delran battery tender feeding the 12volt power port on the dash. Since it's hot all the time it feeds back into the chassis battery. I've read that the 12volt power port on the ProMaster is not hot all the time, so what are my options?

Also, I've read that the ProMaster chassis battery is under the driver side floor. Are there remote terminals for jump starting?

Thanks for any and all advice.
camper ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Trik-l-Start

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tart-6405.html

Totally automatic. No need to plug anything in and it works with all charging sources.

You're welcome.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
Bronze Member

Jumper connections are in the engine compartment.
PinIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinIN View Post
Jumper connections are in the engine compartment.
And boldly marker + and -

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If new or new-ish, a PW Lexor on the Promaster chassis likely has lithium coach batteries so would need the lithium compatible Amp-L-Start revision G2 with turn-on and turn-off voltages at 13.45 and 13.35 volts.

It's a bit more complicated than just that though as you have to decide whether you want the lithium batteries maintained at a high state of charge because the coach is plugged in.

The PD lithium chargers charge to 14.6V............ maybe on the high side for the chassis battery. Newer versions of the PD lithium chargers stop charging when 14.6V is reached but it would be worth finding out what voltage restarts the charge cycle.

A separate maintainer for the chassis battery might end up being a good choice depending on how you want the lithium coach batteries maintained. If the PW has a Mastervolt DC/DC charger then presumably that's ignition switched so a separate maintainer shouldn't be a problem. If the PW has a SurePower Separator then it might end up being activated by the maintainer........... those units use 1.5A to stay latched and some maintainers are only 1A .......... If a high enough capacity maintainer is used then the maintenance voltage could get through to the lithium coach batteries but if around 13.2v then maybe not a problem. I think a switch to break ground on SurePower would turn it off.

lots to think about...
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
Bronze Member

The chassis battery is regular sealed lead acid or AGM battery. No need for anything special. A smart battery tender or minder will be just fine. Charge points are under the hood.
Most PW owners and wannabes are on Facebook. You’ll get more precise/accurate answers by joining everyone there.
Brooklet, GA
bl_smith25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

This is likely too late, but...

The battery is under the driver's seat. Promasters come with a manual disconnect on the negative cable, so you needn't buy anything or need electric to plug it in.

Pull up the cover, the switch on the negative is pretty obvious. Move the lever to the right and pull it completely off the pole... so that it isn't touching. When spring comes put it back on and the van should start right up. I did this for years with a manual disconnect that I installed on my first Ford rig... also did it with a Toyota Sienna that waited in the garage when I went south for the winter.

Never had any issues with vehicle computers
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #8

Default Charge

I use a solar trickle charger and it works very well, just make sure the battery is fully charged (drive it) before you put in away. I’ve gone 3 months and had it start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper ken View Post
How do ProMaster owners keep the chassis battery charged while in storage? I'm considering downsizing from a Mercedes based class C to a Pleasure Way Lexor TS. I keep my Mercedes on shore power at home and use a Delran battery tender feeding the 12volt power port on the dash. Since it's hot all the time it feeds back into the chassis battery. I've read that the 12volt power port on the ProMaster is not hot all the time, so what are my options?

Also, I've read that the ProMaster chassis battery is under the driver side floor. Are there remote terminals for jump starting?

Thanks for any and all advice.
Cokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:41 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
If new or new-ish, a PW Lexor on the Promaster chassis likely has lithium coach batteries so would need the lithium compatible Amp-L-Start revision G2 with turn-on and turn-off voltages at 13.45 and 13.35 volts.

It's a bit more complicated than just that though as you have to decide whether you want the lithium batteries maintained at a high state of charge because the coach is plugged in.

The PD lithium chargers charge to 14.6V............ maybe on the high side for the chassis battery. Newer versions of the PD lithium chargers stop charging when 14.6V is reached but it would be worth finding out what voltage restarts the charge cycle.

A separate maintainer for the chassis battery might end up being a good choice depending on how you want the lithium coach batteries maintained. If the PW has a Mastervolt DC/DC charger then presumably that's ignition switched so a separate maintainer shouldn't be a problem. If the PW has a SurePower Separator then it might end up being activated by the maintainer........... those units use 1.5A to stay latched and some maintainers are only 1A .......... If a high enough capacity maintainer is used then the maintenance voltage could get through to the lithium coach batteries but if around 13.2v then maybe not a problem. I think a switch to break ground on SurePower would turn it off.

lots to think about...
Coach battery is completely separate with respect to the OP’s questions. If in doubt can simply turn off main chassis battery switch.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote