Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How to run wires from cab to coach?

I have a 2016 PleasureWay Lexor and want to run some 20 gauge wire from the cab (behind the dash) back to the rear of the coach. It's not obvious to me how one does this without going under the body outside. Anyone have any tips on doing this? I have inquired several times with PW and have received no response from them. TIA.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

On many other coaches there is a channel that runs along the outer edge of the ceiling.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

On many other coaches there is a channel that runs along the outer edge of the ceiling. May we inquire why you want to run the wire? Maybe there are other options.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks, I will look for that channel. There are a number of reasons for running wires from the dash to the back of the coach, but the immediate need is for an ignition switch to turn on my recently installed DC-DC charger. I also have a hall effect current sensor hooked up to a display on the dash to monitor the battery charge current from the alternator and that line is taped to the floor for now.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I heard from Phil at Pleasureway today. His suggestion is to run wires through an existing grommet in the the firewall and under the vehicle, basically following the charging cables. No easy way to run wires from the cab back inside the finished coach. Too bad, but at least I know what I need to do now.
Old 12-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I don't have your model of vehicle, but we ran ours by first taking down the cab headliner (which we had to do anyway because we were installing new side and rear cameras), removing a cabinetry end cap, and then fishing the line back behind the interior finishings and cabinetry.

It was a long run of line, so we used a shock-corded tent pole to push it backward from the point where the cabinets terminate at the slider. The shock-corded pole was convenient because the different sections could remain bent down until they needed to be extended.

So, back behind the cabinets, and then forward under the interior skin to the cab. The job was easier than I expected it to be.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You didn't say what function your wire was going to do; however, 20ga is pretty light wire for most applications especially for that long of a run. If you think you may want future applications in the rear (speakers? power outlets? rear camera? ) you may want to run additional wires while you are at it. I would also recommend running any wires in split loom tubing to give it some protection from road debris, salt or other items. Just a thought.
Hatteras Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I had to run wires behind the galley cabinets in a 1994 Pleasure Way to install a backup camera, and some other items. Wireless backup cameras have way too much image lag to be safe, so I went with a wired unit.

The job becomes a whole lot easier with a set of wire pulling tools, and I found some at Harbor Freight that were surprisingly inexpensive. One tool is a set of 12 inch fiberglass rods that screw together and have a hook or loop attachment (about $7). They are good for straight runs, since they have limited flexibility. Another tool is a flexible fiberglass wire pulling tool, that is about 20 feet long (and i don't recall the price). Both of these are very useful chasing wires so you don't have to take everything apart.

In a pinch, you can also use a stiff piece of solid 12 Ga. THHN wire. The outer jacket layer helps it slide past obstructions, but it's not as rigid as the rod set.

An old fishing rod can also be used. Just take off the extra loops.

Hiding the wires makes a more professional look, and yes, there was a channel running down some of the wall to hold the wires behind the cabinets. I also needed to temporailly remove a large spline fastener for a seat belt, to remove a panel, so that's another tool you'll need.

Then I drove a different van without a backup camera. Wow, those should be required equipment!
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:57 AM   #9
Silver Member

On my 2001 roadtrek I was able to push a conduit 10-ft length plus a smaller length from the coach batteries in back all the way to the front under the doghouse for my backup camera. It was non-metallic conduit and I had no problems fishing the wires through it.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote