Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default I bought the shipping damaged Boliy for parts

I bought the shipping damaged Boliy for parts. Both side panels were cracked. The bottom had a hole in it and was cracked in another place. The exhaust didn't line up. The inverter was loose. The ignition module was broken off its mount and then controller module mount was cracked. On the inside, the muffler shroud had a 5" crack and the engine mount was bent.

I though it would be fun to work on as a project. At best I'd have a second generator, at worst I'd have some spare parts.

I used epoxy paste to fix the ignition module and the muffler shroud. I removed and straightened the engine mount. Then I put it all back together.

It started on the second pull and purred like a kitten. After half an hour I put an 800 watt load (toaster) on it no problem. I came back half an hour later and it wasn't running. I though it had run out of gas because I didn't put much in. No resistance on the starter rope. No compression.

Here's why:

Oh, well .................
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #2

ouch.
BungeeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Silver Member

That's what happens when you whined it out too far in 1st gear

Is that one of those models that you add oil after you get it. Have you tried warranty for it. My ignition acted up on my TQ, and they just sent me, a new coil from Texas.
paulm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Oil? Oops, I better not joke about it.

DHL really did a number on it. One engine mount had punched through the generator housing. When I questioned them about the up arrows on a package and it being delivered on its side I got this:

Though we make reasonable effort to abide by informational markings and directional indicators, we can not possibly inherit these as part of our transportation agreement.

I think expedience might get in the way of just doing a good job getting stuff delivered in one piece.

The eBay seller has been fantastic to deal with. At his expense he sent a new generator and I got it the same week. It came via DHL but is in great shape.

In fairness to him, I bought the damaged one only for parts without knowing it would work. At least I still have the inverter, ignition module, controller module, carb, filters, pull rope, gas tank etc. It is a shame though, now that everything else works. It seems like such a waste. I think he'd be willing to send me a crankcase assembly but I'd need a puller to get the alternator off. It'd be fun to work on though.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Why could you not take the unit to a repair facility to get it separated and just pay them for that?
Disassemble it to that point before taking it in, them put it back together yourself.............

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:48 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Great Idea! I never thought about doing that.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Well, I "sold" the shipping damaged Boily back to the eBay seller. I really didn't want to but the factory wanted it back to inspect.

I've been told that they've already improved the packaging.

I've read reports of other generators being damaged by shipping. Yamaha's, Champions etc., so it's fairly common. I think the problem is the rubber mounts. When the box stops suddenly or is dropped etc., the engine keeps going because it is on rubber mounts.