Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default I think it is time for new house batteries...

So my batteries don't seem to be holding the juice like they used to... They're pushing 4 years old. The solar panels used to keep the system topped off. Now it drops off fast regardless.

So, who makes a decent battery these days? I need a couple of 6v. My SS Agile doesn't have room for more than 2. So, I want as powerful a battery as possible. Don't have lithium money. So, keep that in mind...
bigfelipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I’d go with the Trojan T-145 flooded if I could handle the 12 inch height. 260AH

T-105 is 225 AH and about .9 inch shorter.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 04:04 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I agree. I've only used Trojan batteries in my vans and they typically last 5-7 years.
Jim
Jim86301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

Default Batteries need to be recharged sometime.

Hi. I had a similar issue last year and just hooked up the batteries to a good charger that de-sulfate and reconditionned the batteries. This prevented me from having to replace thrm and I am planning to do it again this year. I was surprised to see how much power I was able to get back,
luclemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:52 PM   #5

Default Ed

Couple of other things just in general. Make sure the top of batteries are very clean. Dirt will discharge and shorten their life. Also check the connectors to the battery posts. Twice I’ve had to replace a connector that was eating through the wire. The last time my battery jumped from 11:58 to 12:40 volts after reconnecting.
searangered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I would second the recommendation on Trojan T145 wet cells if you have room. We had a pair for something like 5 years during our systems testing phase and they were nearly bomb proof. There is still a T125 in between the T105 and T145 that might fit also, I think.

Depending on the quality of the charger, doing and equalize cycle periodically will keep them in good shape for a long time. You can tell when they need it by checking the specific gravity for being low and/or uneven.

Best to use a standalone charger with equalize setting with the batteries disconnected from the van to prevent the higher voltage from hitting the van electronics.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #7
Silver Member

Crown makes good batteries. East Penn, (Deka) makes good batteries. If you can find Duracell GC2 they are made by East Penn in USA and are available in most Sam's Club stores.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
Crown makes good batteries. East Penn, (Deka) makes good batteries. If you can find Duracell GC2 they are made by East Penn in USA and are available in most Sam's Club stores.
Batteries+ sells the Duracell (Deka) also. They have worked well for me.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
Site Team

There are many, many brands that are manufactured by East Penn. I got mine from NAPA, which is a handy place to buy them and not too expensive.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote