Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2022, 11:57 PM   #1
Gold Member

Question If Not Inverter, What

2000 PW Excel TD - I have the Dynex TV option which is plugged into a PowerLine 200W inverter. I was going to try a new TV when I noticed that the PowerLine inverter would not power on. No indicator lights on

Here is what I know:
-The 12v socket used by inverter tested ok with voltmeter and a male connector with LED

-Assuming the inverter bad, I purchased a new one

-New inverter not powering up

-I tested the new inverter with the 12v receptacle in my portable jumper -- It works!

-I tested the old inverter with the 12v receptacle in my portable jumper -- It works!
What's going on? All other 12v stuff is working, with generator on or not. Again, inverter shows no indicator lights (as it would if not enough power)

Signed,
Bewildered
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 12:47 AM   #2
Platinum Member

replacing ?

I went with a samsung which is DC native- I think this model is discontinued
my tip off was seeing display TV's with a AC/DC brick- same coax connector PW used.

this model also has a stereo 1/8" output and a media player - I put movies on a thumbdrive

something to think about

here's a link to some pics

https://goo.gl/photos/8FURu2JRAzJv8NoV7

regarding the cigarette lighter socket, I find these hit and miss as to what will work. I have a phone charger which will work in the van, but not in my truck ( both GM).

behind my TV on the antenna amp is that other socket and one of my chargers works there, but not the other

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:34 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Sounds like you would want to replace that 12V receptacle (and perhaps return the inverter you purchased).
Old 04-22-2022, 02:16 AM   #4
Platinum Member

also which your test procedure, you have voltage at the socket when you tested- did you put a load on it?

will it light a trouble light?

we can sometimes measure voltage present but in milliamps- not enough to do anything

using a trouble light to test will avoid a spurious test reading

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
Gold Member

I wired the inverter directly into 12v line and it works now.

During the test I used a voltmeter; also a male plug that has a little red led light. That's what fooled me.

I'll be running an USB-c-to HDMI cable from an old phone to display (with downloaded content from Netflix and Amazon). I was planning on using a spare 24" computer monitor, but after seeing how sharp the picture was on the old Dynex (with hdmi) I might just keep it like that.
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote