Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default installing rear camera in 2006 Roadtrek

Anybody have any advice on how to route the cable from rear to front? What about the best path from the license plate area to the interior? Other advice? Thanks.
alwechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I use a wireless system

the camera gets power from my back up lights

my camera is mounted near the 3rd brake light and angled downward to better judge the distance from rear of van to any obstacle

the monitor gets power from near the dashboard- I have the monitor mounted on the left side of the dash near the pillar so I can watch monitor and side mirror at same time
in my car I hate having to look at a center display when backing, then over the the mirrors

it's an under $100 system from peak bought through amazon

mike

* I see you are looking for a new head unit- if so, find a "system" which will work for you- wireless is the way to go
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
Anybody have any advice on how to route the cable from rear to front? What about the best path from the license plate area to the interior? Other advice? Thanks.

My impression is that adding a 'wired' system is mostly obsolete. With my 05/04 Roadtrek I installed this out of stock system from amazon. It was $49.xx dollars complete. I wired it to the very top center running light. I can power the camera by simply turning on the running/parking lights.

I even got the aim right the first time. Perfect for driving, but I don't drive with it. And it barely shows the spare tire.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:48 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
My impression is that adding a 'wired' system is mostly obsolete. With my 05/04 Roadtrek I installed this out of stock system from amazon. It was $49.xx dollars complete. I wired it to the very top center running light. I can power the camera by simply turning on the running/parking lights.

I even got the aim right the first time. Perfect for driving, but I don't drive with it. And it barely shows the spare tire.

Bud
Sorry about that, system:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 04-01-2022, 04:33 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:

Bud

If you look at use patterns, I would agree that wired is not used in the aftermarket as much as it used to be. Most also use the highly distorting wide angle cameras which make them useless for judging distance and that disqualifies them as being able to be used while driving for a rear view. But if you want really good quality of the picture it takes good cameras and monitors with a wired system.

I finally found a system I felt that I wanted and put it in last winter. I still need to do final aligning but it looks to be extremely nice in picture quality. I will be starting a thread with pix as soon as all is aligned and ready to go. Weather is improving so I will be able to get it out on the road in front of the house to finish setting it.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:39 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
If you look at use patterns, I would agree that wired is not used in the aftermarket as much as it used to be. Most also use the highly distorting wide angle cameras which make them useless for judging distance and that disqualifies them as being able to be used while driving for a rear view. But if you want really good quality of the picture it takes good cameras and monitors with a wired system.

I finally found a system I felt that I wanted and put it in last winter. I still need to do final aligning but it looks to be extremely nice in picture quality. I will be starting a thread with pix as soon as all is aligned and ready to go. Weather is improving so I will be able to get it out on the road in front of the house to finish setting it.
Hi booster,

Do you expect to use it as a review mirror as some vehicles now offer?

Bud
Old 04-01-2022, 05:04 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hi booster,

Do you expect to use it as a review mirror as some vehicles now offer?

Bud

Most of the time I don't need it as a rear view mirror, but in heavy traffic areas it would be nice to have because of the blind areas behind the Chevy. the new system has two rear cameras, one 150* aimed down to spot people and such but not needed for accurate distance and a 45* camera pointed rear along the road and that will give accurate distance pictures.
Old 04-01-2022, 05:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most of the time I don't need it as a rear view mirror, but in heavy traffic areas it would be nice to have because of the blind areas behind the Chevy. the new system has two rear cameras, one 150* aimed down to spot people and such but not needed for accurate distance and a 45* camera pointed rear along the road and that will give accurate distance pictures.
Would you mind sharing a link? Unless you want to hold off until you get your thread started.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:29 PM   #9
Silver Member

Quote:

Bud
The other solutions do work. I installed a AUTO-VOX Solar Wireless Backup Camera. Uses solar for the camera and the receiver plugs into the cigarette lighted. Very good video, and easy.
Diver007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwechs View Post
I agree, the wireless system is the way to go. I disconnected the highest red rear running light, connected my 12 volt there & also mounted the camera up there. This provides a rear view whenever the running lights are turned on, not just in reverse. ( I use them all day) Also the camera is fairly high reducing the possibility of theft. It also allows you to install a cargo carrier or bike rack and not impede the view.
georgeherberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

One note on wired verses wireless.. most wired systems include an integral wire that can be used to carry power back to the camera. This makes it possible to use the camera any time rather than only when lights are on (reverse or otherwise). This way the camera system uses house power and is always ready to use.

True, routing the wire is a bit of a pain, but it's a one-time job and you end up with a very solid system.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N147JK View Post
One note on wired verses wireless.. most wired systems include an integral wire that can be used to carry power back to the camera. This makes it possible to use the camera any time rather than only when lights are on (reverse or otherwise). This way the camera system uses house power and is always ready to use.

True, routing the wire is a bit of a pain, but it's a one-time job and you end up with a very solid system.

If you are going to run a wire all the way back to the camera, you might as well have a wired camera. The double camera unit I just put on our Roadtrek Chevy 190 has all the power, ground and two camera data on a single cable.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:04 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
If you are going to run a wire all the way back to the camera, you might as well have a wired camera. The double camera unit I just put on our Roadtrek Chevy 190 has all the power, ground and two camera data on a single cable.
Right, I installed mine over a year ago. I wanted a wired system, then found out the typical video cable also contains a separate, dedicated power line. So not only got a more dependable system but also a more flexible one.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:41 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Any hints on how to route/snake the wire from the back to the front in a fully decked out camper? I've just started from the rear location (center brake light) on the '21 Promaster and realized that the sliding door area may be an issue. Should probably try the other side, but there are lots of storage compartments with back walls that don't look removable.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:02 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Any hints on how to route/snake the wire from the back to the front in a fully decked out camper? I've just started from the rear location (center brake light) on the '21 Promaster and realized that the sliding door area may be an issue. Should probably try the other side, but there are lots of storage compartments with back walls that don't look removable.

I just ran it underneath the van, so much easier. Lots of wires under there anyway so another is no big deal to me.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I just ran it underneath the van, so much easier. Lots of wires under there anyway so another is no big deal to me.
Thank you, that may work better. Just need to find a way to get it from the roof down. Or, pull it along the awning. May not survive the UV radiation up there.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:29 AM   #17
Bronze Member

Instead of trying to sell you a wireless system, I’ll tell you how I did mine. You know the question you asked.

I have a 2015 Chevy version. I fished the wires inside the frame on the driver’s side. You don’t need tie wraps and it protects your wires. I started in the back and when I had enough fish in so it was at the front, I was able to hook the fish out through a hole in the frame. You can then feed the wire between the engine and the frame, through the hole in the frame, connect to the fish and pull the wires to the rear of the vehicle. If you’re mounting the camera high: When you open the rear door you’ll see they ran the tail light wire exposed. Remove the tail light and the plastic parts above and you can get your wires to the top of the van. You can also pick up the backup lamp power from the tail light you removed if you need a trigger signal for you camera. So it might pay to pull some extra wires through the frame while your at it. I pulled 3 extra ones because I had to add a trailer hitch plug. You can also get the backup signal in the fuse box under the driver seat, but I don’t want to remove the seat and lift the rubber mat.

In the engine compartment under the brake master cylinder, I slit in the rubber beside the main wiring harness where it goes through the firewall. Shove your wires through the slit and your home free!

I’ve had some faulty wireless systems and want a good solid connection for things in my RV. Just call me old school.

BTW why can’t people in these forums just answer the question you ask? I really love the replies that start with “I don’t know, but…”
RTRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:11 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I just replaced my stereo in my '11 Chevy 210P and decided to use a separate wired backup camera/monitor. It's working now but only in reverse. I'd like to change it to be on whenever the engine is running so am looking for the reverse trigger wire, not sure how RT wired it to the Eclipse stereo. This summer I plan to replace the original camera and wire. I've pulled tow light wires through the frame on my truck and Tahoe so that's a possibility. I'll try looking under the driver seat. Thanks for the tip.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:55 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlauber View Post
Thank you, that may work better. Just need to find a way to get it from the roof down. Or, pull it along the awning. May not survive the UV radiation up there.
I ended up being able to snake/sneak/snug it inside. On the passenger side, behind the wardrobe, then down over the wheel well, behind/under the kitchen counter, behind the fridge, and then inside from where the sliding door slides. Then underneath the plastic pieces that cover up stuff in front, and finally up the pillar.
Very cheap construction in the Promaster. Lot's of lose fitting and bent trim pieces along the windows and pillars. Oh well.
Old 04-19-2022, 04:42 PM   #20
Gold Member

I ended up using a license frame mounted solar camera with wireless connection to display. It took only a few minutes to install - https://amzn.to/36r4FHw
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote