Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2021, 03:58 PM   #1

Default Interactive electrical diagram tool

Hello 🙂

After I got to experience the learning curve of putting together the electrical system of my van, I thought I could build a tool to help the RV community regarding electrical diagrams and builds.

Combining my job trade as a web developper and my love for vans ☺

I'm thinking about a electronical diagramming tool but specific to the vans and RVs. In the form of an interactive website.

Something point and click, easy to use but smart enough to understand the specifics of building for rvs.

I thought of many features and capabilities but was wondering what you thought would be the most useful?

What was the hardest part you encountered while assembling your own system?

What could be easier with the proper tools?

Thanks in advance.
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think a lot depends on the capacity and complexity of the system, but IMO the biggest issue is usually is getting all the parts meeting all the critical requirements needed and also all of them playing well together.

Coming up with a method of determining some of the things may be kind of difficult because a lot of unexpected things can happen in these conglomerations of parts.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

bonus points add a tool which does the ohms law calculations to display the current draw on a circuit as loads are added

so that correct capacity ø conductors are spec'd, correct breakers

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:26 PM   #4
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
bonus points add a tool which does the ohms law calculations to display the current draw on a circuit as loads are added

so that correct capacity ø conductors are spec'd, correct breakers

mike
I second this. Everything needs to be connected together. A tool that makes you think up front about the current, wire gauge, and length of wiring (and thus voltage drops and maybe weight) would be great, and universal to most any build. It would be useful regardless of battery voltage, charging topology, or loads.

Beyond that are all the myriad electrical variables that can get icky (pumps, fans & A/C, refrigerators, inverters & chargers, solar, etc...) but they can generally be black-boxed as voltage & current source/load, at least at first.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Something like 'Fritzing', except specific to RV's?
Old 03-28-2022, 10:38 PM   #6

Sorry for quite the long silence. Had to postpone a bit this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInWoods View Post
I second this. Everything needs to be connected together. A tool that makes you think up front about the current, wire gauge, and length of wiring (and thus voltage drops and maybe weight) would be great, and universal to most any build. It would be useful regardless of battery voltage, charging topology, or loads.
Agreed. It would even possible to later add other type of moving vehicules like boats. Different but with some commonalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
Something like 'Fritzing', except specific to RV's?
I've seen this tool in my researchs. I like the fact of being able to pinpoint where you plug each part.
Aero is offline   Reply With Quote