Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #1

Default Inverter woes....

2006 Roadtrek 210 typical configuration.
When I use shore power or generator the house lights flash away even though the battery disconnect switch is off/on...the batteries are on. Even more importantly nothing charges the house batteries (engine running, shore power, or generator)! Just looking for anything before I buy a new inverter. The output from the inverter is still 110, but....
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks much.
mrtrekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrekin View Post
2006 Roadtrek 210 typical configuration.
When I use shore power or generator the house lights flash away even though the battery disconnect switch is off/on...the batteries are on. Even more importantly nothing charges the house batteries (engine running, shore power, or generator)! Just looking for anything before I buy a new inverter. The output from the inverter is still 110, but....
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks much.

did you ask roadtrek. it's the trip-lite 750 watt inverter/charger
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

You should be able to do a reset on the Tripplite, and I think there is also a breaker reset on it. You probably want to download the appropriate manual for your version, they are pretty complete on how to do that kind of stuff.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Even more importantly nothing charges the house batteries (engine running, shore power, or generator)!
That's a big clue.

Shore power and generator both send 110V AC to the TrippLite which then should charge the batteries. That is separate and distinct from charging via the alternator with the engine running.

With neither the engine nor the TrippLite charging the batteries I'd start the troubleshooting at the batteries and work back. Check the wiring connections and check the voltage. Are the batteries still good?

This handy utility will give you an idea of the wiring and what to expect with different things on or off. Select your model and year from the drop down list.

http://www.metrotrekkers.org/utility/electrical.htm
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 PM   #5

Yes I do have the manual and the diagram. I've been riding the Roadtrek for around 9k and know it pretty well. I'm thinking the charging portion of the inveterate is fried. Is this possible?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtrekin View Post
Yes I do have the manual and the diagram. I've been riding the Roadtrek for around 9k and know it pretty well. I'm thinking the charging portion of the inveterate is fried. Is this possible?
It could be, but like Marko said, it should still charge off the engine, unless the isolator or a breaker have also failed.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I'd assume that is possible.

But, the batteries should still charge when the engine is running. The alternator charging the batteries doesn't involve the Tripp Lite.

Do you have a volt meter or multimeter? And, have you done the inverter reset Booster mentioned? (resettable breakers)

(oops - posted same time as Booster)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #8

My follow up. Batteries are fine. I lied, generator and shore power do charge house batteries, but car battery does not (where are the 50a breakers?).
Now then, when Shore or generator are applied, inverter freaks out. 12.1-12.6 going in 11.8-13.3 output...house lights flash softly then severely in a ongoing cycle and latching relay opens and closes while fan cycles on and off on inverter. The lights on the inverter flash inconsistently on both sides of rj45. Remove outside AC current and everything is great.
Thank you agaiin for all of your responses and your time...I'm at loss!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Do you have the Tripplite that we were talking about earlier?

If so, there is no 12v inlet and outlet as separate items. It would have one set of 12v wires out of it that are for charging the batteries when when on the charger (shore or generator) and they supply the power to the inverter section from the batteries when running the inverter.

There will be a 110 volt input from the transfer switch, usually through a breaker in the breaker box, that supplies power from shore or generator. You will have a 110 volt output line that goes to the inverter circuits.

Where are you measuring the two DC volt readings?

The pulsing sounds like the charger section may not be getting a good reference of voltage from the batteries, so it can't control properly. Or it could be failing. You may have a loose connection someplace on the wiring.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:35 PM   #10

Sorry I was at the eye Dr. When I wrote that! Really! Those values should have been 120 to 130v range. Yes it's Tripp Lite rv750.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You may have the inverter and line power running at the same time so things could get confused. The Tripplite has an internal transfer switch switch that will switch the 3? inverter outlets between line power and inverter as plug in and out of shore or generator. Maybe it isn't switching off of inverter and feeding back.

When you are on shore power, you don't need the Tripplite for anything but that switching and battery charging (which also runs the 12v in the coach).

I am assuming that all the lights are flashing. The lights are 12v, as is the relay, so that is coming from batteries and being replaced by the charger. The 12v is varying because the 110v is varying, most likely.

Make sure the inverter is off at the shutoff switch, the charger section will still run with that switch off. That may fix it if things aren't transferring right.

If that doesn't do it, you may want to unplug the cord from the Tripplite that runs the inverter outlets. Our 07 C190P had that cord as a regular plug in type to a box. Be sure to get the right one, as the power into the Tripplite will be a similar cord. With that unplugged, the inverter should not be able to interfere with anything, and the shore power should be going only into the charger and then out to charge the batteries. Hopefully, you will be able to get those plug ins pretty easy, some are difficult.

If that doesn't take care of it, the Tripplite is probably failing.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #12

Thanks very much for your time and all the great info. The inverter is failing!