Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
jls
Bronze Member

Default jumper cables vs. jumper pack vs. coach connect

was thinking i should carry some jumper cables and found out about the jumper packs which can double as powerbanks to charge devices, etc. those also don't require another vehicle to get mine started. then i started to wonder if there isn't some way to just use my lithium coach batteries to accomplish the jump start if needed. would that be possible? and which of these three approaches to jump-starting is the best?
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

A 12V jumper pack might almost be required for Ecotrek coaches.

See forum member starrski's described use of a small 12V lithium jumper pack -> https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post111574

You might as well get the startup & reset pdf's from here -> https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...tml#post111637

----------------
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #3
Platinum Member

A Xantrex Echostart or an Amplstart type solution has worked for me. Thirty minutes on a 15 amp charge has revived a failing battery. I do carry cables and a charger.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I can jump start the the van by jumping the coach battery and vehicle battery poles at the battery separator- which is under my hood.
mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Lots of people add a button on the dash to close the battery separator when a boost is needed.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:33 PM   #6
jls
Bronze Member

Thanks for confirming what i had hoped. Although it sounds simple enough it is beyond my skill set... I'll need to find a good RV or Sprinter shop for this kind of work -- any suggestions in the San Jose or Monterey Bay area?
jls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
Bronze Member

I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy so I carry both a jumper battery and a good set of jumper cables. Probably could figure out how to connect the coach battery if the first two methods failed.
JebTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I have a FatMax power pack that has helped me start myself or others, including a friends boat. Well worth it and it also has an air compressor and floodlight built in, as well as ports for USB devices.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RZXVQSU/
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:19 AM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls View Post
was thinking i should carry some jumper cables and found out about the jumper packs which can double as powerbanks to charge devices, etc. those also don't require another vehicle to get mine started. then i started to wonder if there isn't some way to just use my lithium coach batteries to accomplish the jump start if needed. would that be possible? and which of these three approaches to jump-starting is the best?
Typically the Battery Management System on an RV's lithium battery cannot supply the high amperage needed to start a diesel engine. You will want to check the manual on your batteries to determine the maximum amperage. For instance the Battle Born batteries can supply 100 amps for 30 seconds, even with three in parallel you only have 300 amps and a Sprinter diesel probably requires 600 or more amps to start. Jump packs do not have the short circuit protection built in so they will deliver everything they can. Just note that most of the jump packs from China do not live up to their amperage ratings. https://youtu.be/JN8A2nIMUWA
TaxWonk is offline   Reply With Quote