Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 08:13 PM   #21
Platinum Member

The answer to the original question is put in the batteries and a battery monitor. You know the battery spec so if the charging mode doesn't meet the spec, upgrade the charging mode.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:34 PM   #22
Platinum Member

I think this will be my next big mod, if and when my batteries die. I will be putting the batteries outside under the van like the AGMs are now. The BMS should take care of any temperature related issues. A PD 9145AVL bolts up to the same location as the present PD converter and should charge the batteries from a shore cord. A DC to DC charger like the Renogy 40 amp model should take care of alternator charging and my solar controller has a lithium profile.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 AM   #23
Silver Member

I have 4x Battle Born batteries that I’ve had for more than 2 yrs. I will be putting them in my 2020 Travato when I get back to Texas. This will be the 3rd RV I’ve used them in. I won’t get into a discussion about using Li or not, nor the technicalities of the batteries, there is to much intellect ignorance on the subject out there. I will say that BB is one of the most responsive and helpful companies I’ve dealt with. If you have a question you should give them a call, or send them a email rather than getting misleading info to base you decision on.
Toyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I have 4x Battle Born batteries that I’ve had for more than 2 yrs. I will be putting them in my 2020 Travato when I get back to Texas. This will be the 3rd RV I’ve used them in. I won’t get into a discussion about using Li or not, nor the technicalities of the batteries, there is to much intellect ignorance on the subject out there. I will say that BB is one of the most responsive and helpful companies I’ve dealt with. If you have a question you should give them a call, or send them a email rather than getting misleading info to base you decision on.

IMO, not being willing to share knowledge or experience is counter to the whole idea of a forum like this one. The "cure" for "intellect ignorance" is education, fact presentation, testing data, etc, and not insulting a lot of people who may have valid information or ideas and want to learn or help.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Kudos, Booster. A lot nicer response than I was prepared to give.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:21 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulight View Post
They have heating elements inside the battery. So you technically aren't charging below freezing, you are heating the batteries, then charging. I don't know much about them but I assume it will take the current from the charge source directly to the heating element, then once the battery is warm enough, it will connect the battery and allow a charge. If this is true, it's a great design as to not heat the batteries at night when solar is the primary charge source.
I missed this response initially on Relion and Zeravolt lithium batteries. If the heating element is built into the battery does it draw energy to heat the element from the batteries themselves? I take it solar is the primary source obviously if boondocking. Would not solar go through the battery itself to charge and then battery to heating element? I think you would have to have batteries inside a conditioned space with another heat source if the heating element of the battery is turned off at night. They would have to be shut down completely in long term storage and would have to be maintained above -4 deg. F. I doubt solar would do that in a northern climate.

I have a fairly large 800ah battery bank outside under my van and 10 watts total of electric resistant heating pads are sufficient to keep batteries above freezing and they are not on continuously as the batteries are maintained at 41 deg. F. With 800ah there is sufficient energy to power the heating pads off the batteries themselves. Solar, second alternator or shore power of course can charge the batteries at all times. The batteries will shut down completely at 20% SOC so absolute temperature of -4 deg. F. would then govern. Thus outside storage in Minnesota where I live would require shore power to store in the winter. Solar would be insufficient in the winter with low sun angles, shorter days, and cloudier days.

Underway on the road I have camped in overnight temperatures of -15 deg. F. and went a week straight under freezing temperatures 24/7 boondocking so have faith in my current system.

My new contemplated systems of 828ah LiFeMgPo4 batteries will withstand temperatures to -40 deg. F. so I could safely assume shutting down the batteries for winter storage outside could be done without shore power in Minnesota. They will be inside the cabin so conditioned space would maintain the batteries above freezing while underway. This is all now theory for me now that I have a belts and suspenders heated garage with shore power.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
There are folks on this forum who have already forgotten more than you're ever likely to learn regarding lithium battery technology.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 AM   #28
Platinum Member

"I missed this response initially on Relion and Zeravolt lithium batteries. If the heating element is built into the battery does it draw energy to heat the element from the batteries themselves?"

I picked up the understanding that the heaters were only powered by the battery charger. Not too hard to do electronically. Charging not enabled till the temperatures came up.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:22 AM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post

My future next van, though I no longer have a need for it it, will have those "fancy" new batteries that ARV uses as one of three lithium battery options.

And I thought that from all previous posts that ARV was perfect and could do no wrong...
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #30
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
And I thought that from all previous posts that ARV was perfect and could do no wrong...
ARV has a lot of well earned Self-Efficacy. A leader in getting it right more often than others.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote