Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 05:32 PM   #1

Default Lithium Pack in the Travato - happy fish

First post, and thought I'd share a story from yesterday.

Just purchased a new Travato, and debated whether to stick with Onan generator or go with the Pure3/lithium pack. I hate the noise of generators in the wild, though A/C is super nice when at music festivals, and generator noise and fumes are no fun there. So we opted for the lithium Pure3 model.

For the record, I'm also first-time motorhome owner, and it took me a while to saddle up to it. I am a longtime backpacker who is used to carrying everything on my back for 2 weeks at a time, but my spouse likes having a real bed - and hey, who am I to say no? I can still go backpack AND have the RV for comfort and extending the camping season into the fall.

Anyhow we had a planned power outage yesterday to replace a decaying power pole across the street. I also have a saltwater reef aquarium that we have put a lot of time and $ into. The fish can handle outages for a bit, but the corals don't like going without water flow and lights for very long.

In typical blonde mode, I was about to open the garage to get the generator to run the fishtank while the power was out, and then I looked at the outlet on the side of the Travato parked in my driveway.

Yup. Closed the garage, ran an extension cord from the fishtank to plug into the RV, and voila. Silent sun-powered electricity to keep the tank going while my power was off. The fishtank used about 5% of the battery for the 6 hours the power was out. It was also a sunny day and the panels were cranking away I'm sure.

Never in a million years would I have thought of this use case.
sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

"I also have a saltwater reef aquarium that we have put a lot of time and $ into. The fish can handle outages for a bit, but the corals don't like going without water flow and lights for very long."

What was the backup prior to the B?

Nice B, pure 3 vs onan, Nice B

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

I have an 1850 watt Husky genny that I picked up at HD a decade ago. Rarely use it, but nice to have as a backup.

We have SMUD for power, and they've been pretty good. Aside from the really nasty storm we had at the end of January, we've had very few outages. But then again, we live in the city of trees, so a 3 hour outage was understandable.
sparkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Darn. I thought we were going to read a story about taking the fish on a trip in the van.

I know there are people who go to a lot of trouble to take along their dogs. Fish are probably easier.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Darn. I thought we were going to read a story about taking the fish on a trip in the van.

I know there are people who go to a lot of trouble to take along their dogs. Fish are probably easier.
Cassette toilet would be handy for carrying...oh my bad, that's another thread
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:53 AM   #6
Bronze Member

I do not have fish but last year on a warm summer night the power went out in my neighborhood and it was getting late. We went out in the campervan turned on the AC, plugged in my CPAP and had a great night of sleep. 😴😁
Old 05-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #7
Gold Member

lithium Pure3 - great choice! Generators are sooo 2010.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote