Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2021, 10:51 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Lithium Upgrade?

I’ve recently become smitten with the Pleasure-Way Ontour 2.0. (Ford w/3.5 Ecoboost). It’s just shy of 20 feet in length, and really resembles the layout of the Ascent.

Question: This rig is currently offered with two LifePo4 100ah batteries and 2000 watt inverter. There’s plenty of room for more battery under the rear sofa. Could I add 200 or 400ah more to boost battery reserve? I’ve seen LifePo4 200ah on line for sale. I understand that it would run me approximately $1200 a piece for the 200ah . Just not sure if there’s something I’m missing (?). Would this require an upgrade to a 3000 watt inverter? Heck, I’m not even sure if this is possible.

I appreciate any feedback,. Thanks!
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:52 AM   #2
Platinum Member

We run our 750W microwave on 2 x 100Ah lithium batteries and a 3000W Inverter/Charger. A 2000W inverter would do fine also.

Please note, our "750W" microwave draws more like 1250 watts ac current. The 750 number must be cooking power, but if so, there is either a lot of inefficiency or other power draw that accounts for the 1250W number.

If you just want to run your microwave (the highest draw we use our power for) it should already run with the setup you have. But I'm guessing they wired the microwave oulet for shore power instead of inverter power as was our orginal setup.

Yes, the microwave draws a good bit of power from the batteries while running. But the key is it runs for only a few minutes here a there so not an issue for the way we use it.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:57 AM   #3
Platinum Member

My question would be whether or not the existing charger and alternator would be able to provide the extra power required to charge a battery bank of twice the existing size. You might want to check the specs on those.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would be reluctant to put LiFePo4 batteries from different manufacturers in parallel with each other. The various mfg's use slightly different cell types with different chemistries, which may not be compatible with each other.

If you could add two more batteries of the same type and brand, your charger and inverter would be fine and not require an upgrade.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
I would be reluctant to put LiFePo4 batteries from different manufacturers in parallel with each other. The various mfg's use slightly different cell types with different chemistries, which may not be compatible with each other.

If you could add two more batteries of the same type and brand, your charger and inverter would be fine and not require an upgrade.
Great point, and something I haven’t thought about. Maybe Pleasure-way would assist in helping me track down the equipment for such a project.
JakeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:10 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
Great point, and something I haven’t thought about. Maybe Pleasure-way would assist in helping me track down the equipment for such a project.
Or perhaps you can discover the brand and model that they use, source a couple more, and wire them in parallel.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeyLee View Post
I’ve recently become smitten with the Pleasure-Way Ontour 2.0. (Ford w/3.5 Ecoboost). It’s just shy of 20 feet in length, and really resembles the layout of the Ascent.

Question: This rig is currently offered with two LifePo4 100ah batteries and 2000 watt inverter. There’s plenty of room for more battery under the rear sofa. Could I add 200 or 400ah more to boost battery reserve? I’ve seen LifePo4 200ah on line for sale. I understand that it would run me approximately $1200 a piece for the 200ah . Just not sure if there’s something I’m missing (?). Would this require an upgrade to a 3000 watt inverter? Heck, I’m not even sure if this is possible.

I appreciate any feedback,. Thanks!
Hi:
Facebook PW forum have several people doing what you have described doing. First, what is desired outcome?

For me. I have a 2016 PW Lexor TS. It came with 200Ah of lithiums. I wanted to be able to run microwave, coffee maker and air conditioner. Installed a Victron 3000/12 inverter. Added Life Blue( 2X100Ah) batteries to total of 400Ah. Decided that was not enough for air conditioning. So added (2 X 200Ah Chinese lithiums). Now have total of 800Ah. So it can be done. The batteries are not perfectly balanced since different cells, manufacturers and manufacturing dates. But system works. The answer to your question is yes. Some PW users installed a soft start for air conditioner and their 2000 watt inverter runs their air conditioner.

I believe you have the new DC to DC charger so it may take awhile to charge this bank?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote