Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2022, 10:06 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Mounting Batteries underneath van

My 97 Roadtrek popular does not have a generator and I do not want one, it does have the space underneath the van where the gene would have been installed.
I would like to mount some sort of bracket or box in that area to mount my batteries. I am looking for ideas and advice from others that have done this.
Thanks
Old 02-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default This on a 2000 200V

Our genny was oriented north/south. There is a strong flat piece of metal coming down for the genny to mount to. We left that in place and used rather large gate hinges attached to an angle iron tray that we fabbed at my brother's well equipped backyard shop.

For attachment at the rear we ran bolts into the old mount there.

Doing it this way allowed unbolting at the rear and using leverage to lower/raise the rear of the tray. When installing new battery(ies) one simply set it on the lowered tray and pushed it into place toward the front. I used a ratchet strap to hold the battery in place.

I ran with a single group 29 battery, two group 24 batteries would also fit, not sure about group 27. The single group 29(Walmart Maxx alleged deep cell) would supply us for three nights if we didn't get into the furnace hard without any charging.

No pics, sold it winter before last.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckRV View Post
My 97 Roadtrek popular does not have a generator and I do not want one, it does have the space underneath the van where the gene would have been installed.
I would like to mount some sort of bracket or box in that area to mount my batteries. I am looking for ideas and advice from others that have done this.
Thanks

I would be very careful with this. My generator often scrapes going down average driveways. It has been better since I have added a leaf spring to elevate the rear 2inches. Genny is a bit more robust than batteries.

You can install batteries. If you can keep them as far off the ground as possible, it will probably be OK.
Old 02-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks

I have 4 GC2 AGMS slung underneath our 07 C190P Roadtrek, just behind the axle where the generator was. It was a putzy job with a lot of crawling in and out from under the van, and I was dealing with a battery pack of nearly 300# with the mounting stuff, so heavy. Hardest part is keeping the axle heat off them, which my be even more critical with lithium.

Since you live in the north, you will probably need to take them out in the winter or have a well insulated box with lots of heat available from shore power, or store inside in a somewhat heated space.

Here is a link to where the battery install was done in our power system update thread.

https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...html#post36316
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

when battery casings get dirty, electrons can travel through the dirt on the case discharging the battery.
even more so if damp.

if designing a scheme

figure out a way to prevent dirt build up

a way to clean from time to time or service the batteries if they require.

and worse case- what happens if there is a short or fire.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 05:16 PM   #6
Gold Member

Wow, Booster that's quite the setup. I was thinking of using an under truck box if I can find one of the right sizes. Not to worried about a short or fire because that could happen in the van also.
Old 02-25-2022, 11:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks
I have the same RV. My house battery was originally stored under the van. I had to remove a plywood hatch from the floor under the bunk to get to the battery. I hated the location. Eventually, that battery box corroded, so I moved the battery up onto the floor under the bunk.
I'm not sure where you mean when you say the space where the gen would be installed. My RT didn't come with a gen, which is fine by me. I'm happy with a 100w solar panel on the roof.
Old 02-26-2022, 12:12 AM   #8
Site Team

Great West used to have three hatches in the floor with compartments below them. They were all the way back. The two outer ones were used for batteries and the larger center one was for storage. I thought it was an excellent arrangement, but this was partly due to the fact that the "push forward' feature of the GWV trifold bed made it very easy to access.

When I added two more batteries, I put them in the center compartment:

IMG_7509.jpg

Unfortunately, it turned out that the center compartment was not built the same way as the outer ones, and was not up to the task. The whole thing eventually started to fail due to the weight. I fixed it using steel braces below the compartment:

IMG_6588.jpg

I am trying to decide whether to replicate this arrangement in my new van. It kind of depends on how the bottom space allocation works out.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:00 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Great West used to have three hatches in the floor with compartments below them. They were all the way back. The two outer ones were used for batteries and the larger center one was for storage. I thought it was an excellent arrangement, but this was partly due to the fact that the "push forward' feature of the GWV trifold bed made it very easy to access.

When I added two more batteries, I put them in the center compartment:

Attachment 12536

Unfortunately, it turned out that the center compartment was not built the same way as the outer ones, and was not up to the task. The whole thing eventually started to fail due to the weight. I fixed it using steel braces below the compartment:

Attachment 12537

I am trying to decide whether to replicate this arrangement in my new van. It kind of depends on how the bottom space allocation works out.

The Great West is a nice setup, with the possible exception of putting the weight a longs ways to the rear. Less issue with lithium.

We see a huge push to put all the batteries inside the van now, eating up precious living space. I see no reason why you couldn't put the lithium under the floor like the Great West system, in a very well insulated secure box(s). I think it would be a pretty easy task to put heat in the box, either electric or from the water/heat system or both and also to add air circulation in and out of the van too be able to keep the batteries cool on long drives, if needed.

I just seems like the added cost of putting them underfloor as Avanti is thinking about, and with whatever is needed to make it as good for the batteries as being inside the van, may be one of the most convenient and least expensive way to gain extra living/storage area, particularly on a small van like a short Sprinter or Transit.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:51 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
We see a huge push to put all the batteries inside the van now, eating up precious living space. I see no reason why you couldn't put the lithium under the floor like the Great West system, in a very well insulated secure box(s). I think it would be a pretty easy task to put heat in the box, either electric or from the water/heat system or both and also to add air circulation in and out of the van too be able to keep the batteries cool on long drives, if needed.

I just seems like the added cost of putting them underfloor as Avanti is thinking about, and with whatever is needed to make it as good for the batteries as being inside the van, may be one of the most convenient and least expensive way to gain extra living/storage area, particularly on a small van like a short Sprinter or Transit.
Agree. People aways seem to cast the question as "inside and space-consuming" or "underneath and inconvenient". The GWV approach is kind of the best of both worlds.

I will definitely have my Espar glycol lines running the length of the vehicle underneath. It is the golden path to 4-season use. It would be easy enough to route the lines near or through the boxes. I guess one would want a diverter valve to prevent undesired heating.

The ability to introduce outside air is an interesting idea. With electric louvers it would be easy to have Home Assistant be smart about this. I have also considered having a fan to direct inside air down to the compartment.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Agree. People aways seem to cast the question as "inside and space-consuming" or "underneath and inconvenient". The GWV approach is kind of the best of both worlds.

I will definitely have my Espar glycol lines running the length of the vehicle underneath. It is the golden path to 4-season use. It would be easy enough to route the lines near or through the boxes. I guess one would want a diverter valve to prevent undesired heating.

The ability to introduce outside air is an interesting idea. With electric louvers it would be easy to have Home Assistant be smart about this. I have also considered having a fan to direct inside air down to the compartment.

Absolutely with you on the "inconvenient". Even though ours are only drop the pack from under the van is needed to do much other than cables on connections, they have been hanging there without touching them in probably 5 years so no inconvenience yet. When I think about the work or cost of dropping them out to replace every maybe 10 years, I will take that over having them in the way during every day of camping for 10 years.

Make them top accessible, which wasn't really an option in the Chevy, and with climate control and you have the best of all worlds.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:26 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I had an 800ah lithium ion battery pack mounted underneath the van and a 576ah battery pack inside my van under a bed.

The under van system with insulated and weather proof fiberglass box protected by an angle iron steel cage and aluminum skid plate weighed about 500 lbs. if you have no problems and expect the batteries to last several years, no problem. But…but…but moisture and dirt are lethal to lithium ion and battery connections and batteries. Do you have a lift and hydraulic jack to lower the batteries?

The batteries under the bed can be got to. There is a lot going on there with wires, connectors, inverter and BMS that might have to be serviced more frequently.

ARV has three systems, Elite Power Solutions (my first) under the van, 48v Volta and discreet Valence group 27 144ah batteries. The latter two are placed inside the van.

You do have to keep lithium ion batteries preferably above freezing and optimally above 41 deg. for various reasons. My 800ah bank had two 12v 5 amp electric heating pads that seldom came on even when below freezing. That proved to be a minimal draw off the the high ah battery packs. I can see at all times when they are on to determine that with thermostatic controls. My valence system has less draw heating plate under the batteries being inside the maintained environment when it is cold.

Are you serious about returning glycol waste heat uncontrolled to the back of the van and needing to heat at all times running an Espar burner? What about long term storage in the winter? You have to have an external electric source or a climate controlled space.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBA5F433-ABD3-4879-8E42-390BC3B337EB.jpg (167.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 231B795B-0C2E-4619-8DA3-CEB94D1C5A7F.jpg (292.8 KB, 14 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 02:40 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The under van system with insulated and weather proof fiberglass box protected by an angle iron steel cage and aluminum skid plate weighed about 500 lbs. if you have no problems and expect the batteries to last several years, no problem. But…but…but moisture and dirt are lethal to lithium ion and battery connections and batteries. Do you have a lift and hydraulic jack to lower the batteries?
You may have misread this thread.
We are not talking about batteries bolted onto the bottom of the van using the ARV technique. Rather, the discussion is about compartments accessible from within the van but extending below the floor as per the GWV configuration. This in effect keeps the batteries inside the envelope of the van without wasting space. Did ARV really build you a container that had moisture and dirt issues? Seems unlikely.
Quote:
Are you serious about returning glycol waste heat uncontrolled to the back of the van and needing to heat at all times running an Espar burner? What about long term storage in the winter? You have to have an external electric source or a climate controlled space.
Once again, please read the thread before responding critically. Your "uncontrolled" comment is directly at odds with what I and others have described. As for "heat at all times" and external electric source, you are simple rehashing issues that I have addressed in great detail in the past.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #14
Platinum Member

I have first hand knowledge that your GWVan boxes would not be climate controlled from inside the van and batteries will quickly get below freezing when traveling below freezing weather. You will most likely not be having heated glycol lines while traveling underway and if so, your first cost, maintenance and energy cost would be way more than 12v heating pads.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have first hand knowledge that your GWVan boxes would not be climate controlled from inside the van and batteries will quickly get below freezing when traveling below freezing weather. You will most likely not be having heated glycol lines while traveling underway and if so, your first cost, maintenance and energy cost would be way more than 12v heating pads.
1) Again, please read the above discussion re climate control.

2) I am not against heating pads (indeed, I am considering using internally-heated batteries, which represents a superior solution if properly implemented, although not all are), but they don't have to be the whole story.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:58 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Yes, you mentioned a diverter valve. Just makes your suggestion more complex.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:39 PM   #17
Site Team

Moderators' note:
Please don't let this drift into ad hominem. Critique the ideas, not the person.
Old 02-26-2022, 09:27 PM   #18
Platinum Member

You could consider a fin clamp heater to improve heat transfer inside your battery compartment. I was planning to install this type of heater across rear doors; coolant line is ready for it but I found it unnecessary. But, for hydronic heating this units I quiet and efficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fins.jpg (93.7 KB, 13 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
You could consider a fin clamp heater to improve heat transfer inside your battery compartment. I was planning to install this type of heater across rear doors; coolant line is ready for it but I found it unnecessary. But, for hydronic heating this units I quiet and efficient.
Those are nice (and simple). It would be nice to have one under the bed, perhaps.
Old 02-27-2022, 03:02 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Hi, I just took a look a your Blog site and from what i see , the old battery drop box battery compartment location could be put at use but you would need another battery type. Just send me a private message if you are interested . I've added a Trojan 185J AC battery at this location on my 1996 PW Have a nice day
Blueboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote