Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2020, 05:33 PM   #161
Platinum Member

Something funny happened to me yesterday (at least it was funny to me) and a bit embarrasing.

I aluded in an earlier post that my SOC monitor always shows a 1-2W drain at rest with inverter off, battery switch off, solar off. This drain is only about .15 amps, yet I haven't noticed any decline in state of charge over periods of weeks which should have gradually occurred even under such a slight but constant drain.

Then yesterday I was sitting in the van and the drain suddenly showed "0" when only moments earlier had shown the expected 1 watt. I even left the van to tell my wife of the miraculous change and wondering why this new change was happening. She came inside the van and when I tried to show her, the 1W drain was back. What?

Well, the weather was cooler yesterday and instead of leaving the side door open as I always do when inside the van, I had closed it earlier. Now with my wife in the van with me and the door open, she was feeling a chill and closed the side door.

Like Clark Griswald in National Lampoon's Christmas, the drain was suddendly gone. It was like a miracle. Then she mentioned the drain went away as soon as the door closed. I felt like a dolt!

I had never considered that the front cab dome light was powered from the coach batteries. I always had the side door open when entering in my driveway, so that is why I had always saw a small drain. But yesterday was cooler so I closed it.

Mystery solved. Plus I've very glad to confirm no detectable parasitic drains at rest.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #162
Platinum Member

Great that the mystery is solved.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #163
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
. . . I had never considered that the front cab dome light was powered from the coach batteries. I always had the side door open when entering in my driveway, so that is why I had always saw a small drain. But yesterday was cooler so I closed it.

Mystery solved. Plus I've very glad to confirm no detectable parasitic drains at rest.
Good info - thanks. Airstream must have rewired that front cab dome light. I need to check how that works on my Airstream Sprinter as the dome light also stays on when the sliding door is open.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:25 AM   #164
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Great that the mystery is solved.

You are certainly not the first on that issue. For me it was the other way, I had the coach batteries disconnected and I couldn't figure out why the dome light didn't work.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:12 AM   #165
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
You are certainly not the first on that issue. For me it was the other way, I had the coach batteries disconnected and I couldn't figure out why the dome light didn't work.
You made me laugh. Glad I'm not the only one who found that unexpected quirk.

My dash Kenwood system runs on the coach batteries as well. I know, because during my lithium battery install last Fall, I had to reprogram radio channels. Yet when I replaced the engine battery last month, it kept it's memory.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #166

I was considering purchasing the same inverter but I saw some issues...read the discussion in some of the reviews on Amazon...there are discussions about amp limitations and other restrictions that may help your troubleshooting.

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-PCL1-3.../dp/B07PNGVMZK
rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 PM   #167
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I was considering purchasing the same inverter but I saw some issues...check out the reviews on Amazon...it may help your troubleshooting.

The number of ratings makes this near worthless.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:04 PM   #168
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Bud

The few reviews there are seem to indicate a very small pass through amperage of only 26 amps, which would be about the same as the inverter power or 3000 watts. To not pass through normal shore power 30 amps is silly, IMO.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:16 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post

Bud
I wasn't referring to the number of reviews in support or rejection of the product; I was referring to specific discussions in those reviews, that mention problems/limitations with the inverter (such as undisclosed amp limitations), which may help in troubleshooting.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:28 PM   #170

Yes, these reviews are what I was talking about, above.
Old 05-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #171

Check out the review "its nice, almost what I wanted"...
Old 05-02-2020, 11:39 PM   #172

Quote:
What charge profile are you running on the Blue Sky on lithium like yours?
call up blue sky energy great to talk to. 13.5 was the profile almost sure
Tonycamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:42 PM   #173

[QUOTE=Tonycamco;107707]called up blue sky energy great to talk to. 13.5 was the profile almost sure
Tonycamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:48 PM   #174
Platinum Member

The pass through current / transfer switch rating is something you find out before buying an inverter. You should also find out if that current rating is for resistive or inductive loads if planning to max it out. If the rating is for resistive loads then you derate it quite a bit for inductive loads like an air conditioner. There's more to DIY than just connecting parts together.

The inverter has a 30A Automatic Transfer Switch according to Renogy's website: https://www.renogy.com/3000w-12v-pur...w-lcd-display/ - click on Specifications.

The transfer switch rating is adequate for Rowie's van.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:24 AM   #175
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
The pass through current / transfer switch rating is something you find out before buying an inverter. You should also find out if that current rating is for resistive or inductive loads if planning to max it out. If the rating is for resistive loads then you derate it quite a bit for inductive loads like an air conditioner. There's more to DIY than just connecting parts together.

The inverter has a 30A Automatic Transfer Switch according to Renogy's website: https://www.renogy.com/3000w-12v-pur...w-lcd-display/ - click on Specifications.

The transfer switch rating is adequate for Rowie's van.

It is interesting about the spec sheet showing the 30 amp transfer switch. I wonder about the 26 amps the reviewer claims to have been told by Renogy. Also the claims about being able to run AC on inverter but not on shore power.

I wonder if those users are getting bit by the very common problem of a fairly big chunk of the shore power being used to charge low batteries. Depending on the how the unit handles the priorities on charging, there could be easily under 20 amps left for the AC, which probably wouldn't start a lot of units.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:34 AM   #176
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster View Post
I was considering purchasing the same inverter but I saw some issues...read the discussion in some of the reviews on Amazon...there are discussions about amp limitations and other restrictions that may help your troubleshooting.

I don't know how they wired theirs, but I just wired mine exactly like the old Tripplite. It only runs inverted outlets, so when connected to shore power (in my case 30Amps) it passes through shore power like before. No problems and the inverter does not need to be on to run ac, etc. when plugged in.

The only difficulty I had was getting it programmed correctly. The programming process is straight-forward, but there are just a lot of options. Maybe they need to change program settings.

But I do agree the end panel is wonky and they don't state accurate dimensions as they don't include the footing flange (add'l 1-1/2 in.) in their width specs and don't include the 110v wiring gromets (add'l 1 in.) in their length measurement.

Oh, and I agree Renogy customer support knowledge is minimal.

However, I'm six months in and satisfied with my all Renogy setup.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:55 AM   #177
Platinum Member

Quote:
It is interesting about the spec sheet showing the 30 amp transfer switch. I wonder about the 26 amps the reviewer claims to have been told by Renogy. Also the claims about being able to run AC on inverter but not on shore power.

I wonder if those users are getting bit by the very common problem of a fairly big chunk of the shore power being used to charge low batteries. Depending on the how the unit handles the priorities on charging, there could be easily under 20 amps left for the AC, which probably wouldn't start a lot of units.
My 3000W inverter/charger will charge up to 75amps. Don't quote me on this but I seem to recall seeing that charge rate draws about as much as the roof ac (about 11-12 amps according to the Power Systems (?) monitor). I only tested the 75 amp charging rate briefly and keep it programmed to 45 amps. I also did not try running the roof ac at the same time since I was only on a 20A house circuit.

The Power Systems (?) monitor would perhaps shed load even on 30A service. Again, never put it to the test.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:06 PM   #178
Bronze Member

Rowiebowie, are you still happy with the renogy system? 99% sure i am going to upgrade with the same because of size issues.
Treker20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #179
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treker20 View Post
Rowiebowie, are you still happy with the renogy system? 99% sure i am going to upgrade with the same because of size issues.
So far, so good after 2 years. Renogy has since discontinued the batteries I used. I had to go with theirs because they were the smallest out there and the only ones I could fit 2-100Ahs in the interior space I had. Terminal threads are very fine and easy to cross thread with any pressure on the cables during install. The old Renogy batteries are still sold under HQST brand on Ebay for $379.99 (a lot less than I paid). https://www.ebay.com/itm/16503947058...e72a%7Ciid%3A1

Same for the Rengy Inverter/Charger which just fit the long and rather narrow space available for it. Since I wanted everything inside, size and space was my primary deciding factor. But if you have space and the money, the options are endless.

Here is a crude mockup of my system (with 2 batteries, of course)..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Renogy Cables & SOC Monitor Shunt Connections3.jpg (229.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 11-14-2021, 04:38 AM   #180
Platinum Member

Great thread - the hoops we jump through ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote