Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Need a new House Battery - suggestions?

1997 Dodge Pleasure Way

So looks like I fried my house battery by leaving it plugged in for days...guess I cooked it. I had the original converter and I didn't realize that would fry my battery.

So I bought a new 3 stage converter and now I need a new battery. I had an Optima Yellow top in there 900 CA, 75 AH and 155 RT. Those batteries are $250+

So, looking for some suggestions. I am not a full time RV dweller and at most I might be without shore power for a week. The rest of the time, I will likely be able to plug in somewhere.

What do you think?

I heard COSTCO maybe has some good deals, but none of them were sealed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3259.jpg (255.2 KB, 10 views)
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #2
Platinum Member

You want a true "deep cycle" battery, such as a golf cart battery. Steer clear of any battery which lists "CCA" in its spec because it is not a deep cycle battery and will not give optimum service as a house battery. As for brands, there is lots of opinions out there, but Trojan, Interstate are 2 brands which come to mind. So called "combination" batteries (like th Optima, are not a good bet. IMHO

John
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Overcharging can kill a battery.

But plugging in for a few days only is not going to harm the battery in a big way.

Have you tried to revive the battery with a smart charger first?

Consumers Too Quick to Replace Batteries, Say CTEK
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
You want a true "deep cycle" battery, such as a golf cart battery. Steer clear of any battery which lists "CCA" in its spec because it is not a deep cycle battery and will not give optimum service as a house battery.
Not necessarily. Concord Lifeline Deep Cycle batteries, arguably the best RV AGM deep cycle battery in the industry, has a CCA rating in addition to its AH rating.

Actually, whether or not it's published or even quantified by the manufacturer, every lead acid battery has a valid CCA rating.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saenzm View Post
1997 Dodge Pleasure Way

So looks like I fried my house battery by leaving it plugged in for days...guess I cooked it. I had the original converter and I didn't realize that would fry my battery.

So I bought a new 3 stage converter and now I need a new battery. I had an Optima Yellow top in there 900 CA, 75 AH and 155 RT. Those batteries are $250+

So, looking for some suggestions. I am not a full time RV dweller and at most I might be without shore power for a week. The rest of the time, I will likely be able to plug in somewhere.

What do you think?

I heard COSTCO maybe has some good deals, but none of them were sealed.
Correct, they aren't sealed units but if the battery is located where it can be occasionally watered, the Costco RV batteries, which are manufactured by Interstate, are a hell of a bang for the buck. You can get them in a size 24 or 27 but if you have the space, I would go for a couple of their 6V golf cart batteries.

Judging from your photo, whatever batteries you choose, make sure that their terminals are threaded with wing nuts so that you can replicate your multiple connections.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

The biggest question has to be how much power you use. It is highly unlikely you wouldn't be able to go more than 2-3 days on a single 12 volt battery without recharging it somehow.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Yes, every battery has a CCA rating.

The point is how the battery is listed and marketed. There are starting batteries, there are dual use batteries, and there are deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating. And if you can find that information, you'll discover that that number is fairly low, due to the way the battery is constructed, at least compared to traditional starting batteries.

Optimas are not deep cycle batteries. Often I see them used in things like bass boats where you want starting, but also run some accessories and trolling motors. They are great for that. For an RV house battery, not so much.

Lifeline is probably the best you can get, but the Trojans and Deka's are not far behind. I've also heard that the Duracell branded battery is pretty good as well and you can find them at places like Costco.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I'm using a costco interstate- I have almost 2 years on it- so far so good.

36 month 100% replacement, then a sliding scale...as we get to month 35 I'll be doing some hard looking at the condition of the battery.

I have a bottle of distilled water in the garage, and have not yet had to add any to this battery

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Yes, every battery has a CCA rating.

The point is how the battery is listed and marketed. There are starting batteries, there are dual use batteries, and there are deep cycle. Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating. And if you can find that information, you'll discover that that number is fairly low, due to the way the battery is constructed, at least compared to traditional starting batteries.

Optimas are not deep cycle batteries. Often I see them used in things like bass boats where you want starting, but also run some accessories and trolling motors. They are great for that. For an RV house battery, not so much.

Lifeline is probably the best you can get, but the Trojans and Deka's are not far behind. I've also heard that the Duracell branded battery is pretty good as well and you can find them at places like Costco.
You state that "Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating" followed by your description of Lifeline batteries being "probably the best you can get."

However, I'm sitting here with the Lifeline catalog in front of me and every battery they offer, both starting and deep cycle, has a CCA rating for 0, 32 and 68 degrees F in addition to their ampere hour capacity for deep cycle applications.

I have found that Lifeline deep cycles perfectly usable as starting batteries as long as they are sized to account for the 20% (mas o menos) CCA differential between the two series for the same sized container. I have always made a practice of that because I think it is best if the charging source is looking at batteries all within the same family.

I agree that Optimas are not the best choice. Because they spiral wrap their plates, the battery presumably more resistant to sulfate sloughing into the case bottom when discharged, which is why they are touted as the best choice for off road high vibration conditions. I don't buy it and in any event, it's not a condition that is generally applicable to RV operation. Also their marketing is a little flaky. They sell a yellow top as a deep cycle unit and also a blue top as a dual purpose unit but the specs for both are nearly identical.
Finally, although I have no direct experience, I'm told that since Optima is under new ownership, their battery quality has degraded.

It's not easy to know who actually makes house label batteries because it can change from year to year. I understand that Costco is currently using Interstate for their batteries which bodes well for their performance.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:53 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I'm using a costco interstate- I have almost 2 years on it- so far so good.

36 month 100% replacement, then a sliding scale...as we get to month 35 I'll be doing some hard looking at the condition of the battery.

I have a bottle of distilled water in the garage, and have not yet had to add any to this battery

mike
And a real plus is that in the event of failure within the warranty period, there are hundreds of Costcos all over the country to get it replaced.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
...hundreds of Costcos all over the country ...
and Canada (and Mexico, although I have not tried a warranty there).

For certain thing costco works, tires too.

sams club similar although I had repeated problems with tire claims there, I use costco for the CS

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
and Canada (and Mexico, although I have not tried a warranty there).

For certain thing costco works, tires too.

sams club similar although I had repeated problems with tire claims there, I use costco for the CS

mike
re tires, I think Costo still provides a road hazard warranty which nobody else provides any longer. Also they rotate and rebalance free of charge while you munch on their $1.50 hot dog.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
You state that "Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating" followed by your description of Lifeline batteries being "probably the best you can get."

However, I'm sitting here with the Lifeline catalog in front of me and every battery they offer, both starting and deep cycle, has a CCA rating for 0, 32 and 68 degrees F in addition to their ampere hour capacity for deep cycle applications.

I have found that Lifeline deep cycles perfectly usable as starting batteries as long as they are sized to account for the 20% (mas o menos) CCA differential between the two series for the same sized container. I have always made a practice of that because I think it is best if the charging source is looking at batteries all within the same family.

I agree that Optimas are not the best choice. Because they spiral wrap their plates, the battery presumably more resistant to sulfate sloughing into the case bottom when discharged, which is why they are touted as the best choice for off road high vibration conditions. I don't buy it and in any event, it's not a condition that is generally applicable to RV operation. Also their marketing is a little flaky. They sell a yellow top as a deep cycle unit and also a blue top as a dual purpose unit but the specs for both are nearly identical.
Finally, although I have no direct experience, I'm told that since Optima is under new ownership, their battery quality has degraded.

It's not easy to know who actually makes house label batteries because it can change from year to year. I understand that Costco is currently using Interstate for their batteries which bodes well for their performance.
Well of course Lifeline will give you ALL the stats for their batteries. They are one of the best in the business. But what you won't see is in their advertising or on the sticker on the side of the battery. When you talk with them, they aren't going to say, "hey, these batteries are great for starting your truck, but you know, you can also use them to power the lights and appliances in your RV."

Just for laughs, call up Trojan and ask for the CCA on a T-105. They might have the info, but they'll probably ask you what you are planning to put this in, because 99% of their customers are either putting them in golf carts or as house batteries in RV's.

There is no harm in using a deep cycle to start an engine. It's often the case in boats that all the batteries are deep cycle, and some are dedicated to starting, or have switching to enable starting. My boat is set up that way.

But the CCA ratings are definitely much less than a dedicated starting battery you might source. It's still adequate for the service though.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well of course Lifeline will give you ALL the stats for their batteries. They are one of the best in the business. But what you won't see is in their advertising or on the sticker on the side of the battery. When you talk with them, they aren't going to say, "hey, these batteries are great for starting your truck, but you know, you can also use them to power the lights and appliances in your RV."

Just for laughs, call up Trojan and ask for the CCA on a T-105. They might have the info, but they'll probably ask you what you are planning to put this in, because 99% of their customers are either putting them in golf carts or as house batteries in RV's.

There is no harm in using a deep cycle to start an engine. It's often the case in boats that all the batteries are deep cycle, and some are dedicated to starting, or have switching to enable starting. My boat is set up that way.

But the CCA ratings are definitely much less than a dedicated starting battery you might source. It's still adequate for the service though.
With all due respect, your dog just ain't gonna hunt.

Wincrasher: "Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating."

Wincrasher: "But what you won't see is in their advertising or on the sticker on the side of the battery."

Concord Lifeline Advertisement: GPL-27T - Lifeline Batteries
Old 02-06-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
With all due respect, your dog just ain't gonna hunt.

Wincrasher: "Deep cycle batteries are never marketed with a CCA rating."

Wincrasher: "But what you won't see is in their advertising or on the sticker on the side of the battery."

Concord Lifeline Advertisement: GPL-27T - Lifeline Batteries
With all due respect to you, this isn't marketing. I can get a spec sheet on just a about any battery. Find a Lifeline advertisement and get back to me.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
With all due respect to you, this isn't marketing. I can get a spec sheet on just a about any battery. Find a Lifeline advertisement and get back to me.
You gotta get another dog. It is an advertisement.

Seems like you know when to hold 'em, but not when to fold 'em.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Since there's a few posters here liking Concorde/Lifeline, I thought I weigh in on the other side. I think I've taken better care of mine than most folks do, but I'm down to around 80% capacity in less than 2 years. It's my impression that they are more finicky than some other AGM's. I'll be looking for something else this year.
papab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papab View Post
Since there's a few posters here liking Concorde/Lifeline, I thought I weigh in on the other side. I think I've taken better care of mine than most folks do, but I'm down to around 80% capacity in less than 2 years. It's my impression that they are more finicky than some other AGM's. I'll be looking for something else this year.
The big question would have to be how you are using and charging them. There are very specific parameters for getting long life out of any AGM battery. Walkdown to 80% is very common in all batteries as it is around the place where they get charged to with poor charging control.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papab View Post
I think your experience is unusual and without more details like typical depth of discharge levels, shoreside charging equipment, alternator characteristics etc. it's difficult to entertain a diagnosis. Which model(s) do you have?

BTW, Concord's warranty is pretty generous. Free replacement within one year and prorated replacement for five years. IMO, warranty replacement will put you money ahead of using another brand.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #20

had the same problem. someone put a wet cell in the house batt location with no way to check liquid level. cook it like a burnt marshmallow.
found a maintenance free AGM deep cycle on e-bay for about a buck fifty.

reelman
reelman is offline   Reply With Quote