Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2022, 02:14 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Need Junction Box for Generator AC Cable/Conduit

My Onan 2800 generator starts, but then shuts off when I release the start button. Looks like my voltage regulator is bad. So I removed the generator today, except for the 120v conduit line. I don’t want to disconnect the lines at the transfer switch or at the generator if at all possible.

I would like to cut the 120v line and install a junction box underneath to make the removal and installation easier, especially if I ever have to do it again (hope not). I have looked around for waterproof junction boxes but haven’t really found one that will mate up to the existing conduit. This type of junction box looked like a possibility, but it doesn’t take the existing flexible ¾-1 inch conduit casing. It also needs to handle the current load as well, about 24 amps.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Ex...985294733&th=1

So has anyone done this or have a suggestion for a junction box?

Oh, and John Slaughter’s (of electrical simulator fame) directions were very helpful, but I did a few things differently on my 2006 Roadtrek 210P. I will do a writeup when I finish the job.

http://region7rally.org/wp-content/u...RepairSaga.pdf
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 05:30 AM   #2
Platinum Member

That isn’t the junction box you need. Home Depot or Lowe’s has the standard home junction box that fits the conduit size presently in place.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I think you would just use a standard electrical watertight PVC junction box. You can usually find them at home centers with no holes (drill your own), glue in connections, or some have threaded connections. You buy the liquid tight conduit fittings to fit the existing conduit you have and size the holes in the box to them.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote