Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2020, 02:47 PM   #1

Default Newbie Electrical Problems

Hey Guys, So happy to have joined this forum and I'm hoping that you with more experience can help me out. I have a 83' B250 Ram camper named Wally (see picture below) and I can't seem to figure something out. The only way the cabin lights and vent fan go on is if the vehicle is running, or if the door is open. When I have it parked, and doors closed, trying to use the interior lights or the vent fan is a no go. Even when connected to shore power, there is something blocking the current of getting to those lights/vent. They all work, when the door is open, and that little depressor switch on the door is open, but once it's closed, nothing.
Has anyone experienced anything like this? Does anyone have any kind of operations or wiring diagram for a van like this??
It's stumped me for a while and I think I've reached my wits end.
HELP ME. ILLUMINATE WALLY!!!
Thanks,
B
513752AA-DA92-4590-B83D-43CD1DBCBA49.JPG
BDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

did you just get Wally or is this a new problem?

do you have a battery under the hood for the van...and another battery for the "coach" or "house"?
If so the house battery may have a disconnect switch-

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Bdon!

That's certainly a strange problem you have. At this point, I got nothing for you. Sorry.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It sounds like they just wired them into the dome light circuit.

Does the fan work if you turn on the dome light at the headlight switch?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:46 PM   #5

Hey Folks,

Synchronicity, isn't it a beautiful thing!?!
To reply to you guys: Yes, I have two batteries under the hood, one leisure, the other starter. Right next to the driver seat there's a battery switch that allows me to toggle between the two or switch to off.

As far as the dome light goes. I have one above the table that has three functions. both lights on as door opens, just one light on, and off. I don't know what you're referring to when you mention a switch as the dash... I don't seem to have a switch that controls: Here's a photo of the lights above the dash and the one above the table that functions as the door opens.IMG_1046.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg

BUT! Why I say synchronicity is a beautiful thing, is that the day that I finally approach this forum with the question is the same day I have my tires changed. After that was said and done, I cruised back to my place and parked it, and wouldn't you know it, but the lights and fan vent all started to work when I turned them on!!
My guess is that something was shifted as the van went up the lift. I have some runner lights along the running boards that I've never had working, and maybe there was a missed connection which was shifted around by the lift?? I have no idea.

Lastly, for some reason, in this day of non reasons, after all of this the dome light above the table will not come on and off as the door opens. Luckily I can turn if off and via the switch. But if the trade off is the other lights and vent working while the van isn't running for this, I'll take it.
Any other thoughts around this ??
I'm very grateful for all your thoughts.
Thanks,
B
BDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Platinum Member

So when you say "dome" light do you mean the vehicle supplied light that would have been there before the conversion or lights that have added in the conversion?

Can't speak for that old, but on some of the new units like our 07 Roadtrek the Chevy dome light has been rewired to run off the coach battery.

In your case, it may be that somehow the power to the fan and lights is turned off, but if they are wired to the van systems somehow, there is a ground loop back to light them when the door switch is triggered. It is also possible the ground is open somewhere and when the door switch turns on it does the ground for everything. Bouncing could get a loose ground to work for a while.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Recommend you get this clamp-on ammeter to track down the circuit that is causing the current drain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote