Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default No 120 VAC from generator.

No 120 VAC from generator.

2008 Bornfree - Built for two.

2010 Genrac Guardian generator installed.

2020 I purchased from the original owner. Generator had 21 run hours.

Coach was winterized and left connected to shore power (battery disconnect not used). Water lines blown out with air, RV antifreeze in P-traps, Chassis battery maintainer powered from an exterior coach 120 VAC outlet.

January - Disconnect shore power and the chassis battery maintainer. Chassis engine started on first try. Generator engine readily turns over, starts on second try. Turn on the AC heating element and an electric space heater to put a load on the generator. Both engines run for approximately 15 to 20 minutes before shutting them both off.

February - Forgot to disconnect the shore power cable. Chassis engine starts, generator engine again readily turns over, starts on second try. Turn on the AC heating element, AC does not turn on. Plug the electric space heater in, it doesn’t come on. I remember I left the shore power plug in so I unplugged it. Shut off the generator, wait a few minutes and restart. Coach still doesn’t have 120 VAC. Found the circuit breakers for the receipts and AC, neither were tripped. Flipped the breaker off and on a few times, still no 120 VAC. Wait for warmer weather to trouble shoot.

March - Found the circuit breaker on the generator. Breaker is what I’d call a rocker type breaker. Breaker was not tripped. Flipped it off and on a few times (flips easy, is this normal?). Still no 120 VAC in coach.

I reason there is a power transfer switch somewhere in the coach and it’s faulty. I trace the power cables from the shore power jack and from the generator. Both cables terminate in a metal box mounted on the backside of the Parallax/Magnetek 7345 power fuse/breaker panel and above the PD4600 series converter. With two drawers removed I can just barely see the top of the transfer switch. I reach in with a flashlight and camera to snap pictures. One of the pictures had the right view. What I call a transfer switch is a PPS ATS 301. Went online and ordered a replacement.

Today - Unplug coach from shore power. Utilizing the Battery Disconnect switch I disconnect the batteries. Multimeter confirms no power on both 120 VAC and 12 DC side of the power panel. Remove four screws to remove the front cover. Remove four more screws to the and slide the 7345, PD6400 and ATS 301 assembly away from the cabinet front. Removing two cable clamps barely gives me enough room to remove the Shore power and generator cables from the ATS 301. Now I can slide the assembly a few more inches into the aisle. Remove the two wires that go to the 7345. Now I can see better!

ATS 301 is attached to the 7345 with two screws. To be able to reach these two screws I had to remove a 120 VAC circuit breaker and the front 12 DC fuse panel. Now I’ve got the suspected faulty ATS 301 in my hand. <Insert a triumph chuckle here>

Unfortunately the new ATS 301 box mounting screws holes don’t match the original ATS 301 mounting holes. My solution was to transfer the “guts” from the new ATS 301 to the old ATS 301 box. <Insert another triumph chuckle here>.
Reassembly everything back into the cabinet front. I thought about firing up the generator to check for voltage before reassembling. I didn’t like the idea of messing with hot 120 VAC with the assembly dangling and when it was back into the cabinet I could not see the connections. I know it the original ATS 301 that causing the problem.

Fire up the generator. Flip the coach breakers on and <insert drum roll> turn on the AC heat…nothing. Turn on the electric space heater…nothing. Still have the original problem, no 120 VAC in the coach and yes I confirmed generator breaker is in the ON position.

Three hours of sitting cross legged in a Class B+ aisle humped over and working through two draw openings have taken their toll. Resolution will have to wait until another day. It is ether the generator main breaker of the generator its self. If I can figure out how to remove the breaker I could check for voltage there…
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote