Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #1

Default No brake lights / No hazards

I found the fix to a taillight issue and thought I’d share. This all started when my hazards went out. It was not the fuse or the flasher, so I put it on my to do list to figure out. Then, my brake lights went out about a week later. Of course, this couldn’t wait. I replaced the tail light bulbs, then the switch that is activated by the pedal, but still no joy. I looked at the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual (good to have) and saw that the brake lights actually run through the "multi function switch." This is one combined component that controls your headlights, wipers, blinker, and flashers (ah, hah) on your steering column- you know, the turn signal arm. It's about a $150 part that is a fairly easy install with common tools, but my 2000 Dodge Roadtrek required an e-torx female star socket (number 5, I believe) to separate the steering column shield. There are 4 electrical connections under the steering column to this unit. The main two are long flat plugs that go into a harness that has is a bolt in the middle to keep the harness tightly connected. Undo the bolt, pull away the harness, and push the two long thin plugs forward to release them- i.e. the direction they plug in. The other two smaller connections are more intuitive. Anyway, my brake lights and flashers are both now back in service.
journeyman28778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nice

Probably 90% of electrical problems are related to bad connections- often just re-plugging a connector will brighten the connection*- anytime I have something apart I use a nic-sand and/or deoxit to clean the contacts

For the Chev switch on the brake pedal, there are 3 contacts, 2 normally open and 1 normally closed.
for control cruise, brake lights and also the gear shift lock (foot on brake to shift) these switches run $10 on amazon
the hardest part is releasing the mounting clip

mike

* and oftentimes when replacing a part, this is what "fixed it"
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake lights, hazards, multi function switch