Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #1

Default On-Board Generator Fumes

Hi Everyone. We are new to the Class B Motorhomes. Just bought our 1st one a couple of weeks ago. It's a 2006 Roadtrek 190 Versitile. I'm looking for any tips on how to deal with the exhaust fumes from the generator. The one time that I tried to use it, the fumes inside was pretty bad ans we had to turn it off. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
tman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Silver Member

Default Re: On-Board Generator Fumes

Funny, I had a similar situation with my 2008 Roadtrek. I did not smell fumes but the CO detector alarmed. I tried it again a few times and made sure that the windows were tightly closed and did not have any more problems. I did notice that my one window did not come tight against the gasket so this may have been the problem.

http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=1292

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
Platinum Member

If you have the luxury of taking advantage of any prevailing wind when parking, that'll help. There now are extensions that some motor home owners are slipping over the existing exhaust pipe to route the exhaust up and over the van/B. It used to be that small engine makers cautioned against altering the exhaust setup in any way because of what it might do to back pressure. I' still think that's a caution to remember.

https://www.classbforum.com/images/1994%20GMC.jpg
VernM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips guys. I thought that I had all the windows shut, but I'll be sure to check again the next time out. I saw those extentions in a magazine, but wandered if they worked. Thanks again. I really like this web forum.
tman1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:36 AM   #5
g1g
Platinum Member

I never experienced a problem but for safety's sake I plan on putting on some type of pipe extension. I am thinking of at least 2 inch to help with reducing back-pressure. I plan on having it so I can assemble a couple smaller pieces for storage or possibly one inside the other. I have heard where people have used PVC pipe but they also suck in fresh air to cool the exhaust. Someday I will have to measure the temperature of the exhaust. Has anyone done that? Might save me an experiment.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote