Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2021, 11:01 PM   #1

Default Onan 2.8

I have an issue with the generator not running smooth. It causes the lights to flicker. I can not get to the hose to run a cleaner directly to the generator. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to fix or how much it would cost to get someone to fix?
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:19 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Most likely a gummed up carb if you are on gas ( not propane)

if you take it in you may be looking at $600 to $1000

on my van I have a petcock on the fuel line and have taken the fuel line apart where the petcock is to get a 25% mix of seafoam cleaner and fresh gas into the system and this will help

my onan, and I think most, has a fuel pump and will suck up a gas mix from a jar on the ground nearby

the petcock closed on the vehicle side of the fuel line

I work on cars and gas and stuff so it's not big deal

but raising a heavy van and messing around with gas is no fun- and dangerous

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:23 AM   #3

The really strange thing is when the lights are on battery they are brighter than on the generator.
Jarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:56 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod View Post
I have an issue with the generator not running smooth. It causes the lights to flicker. I can not get to the hose to run a cleaner directly to the generator. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to fix or how much it would cost to get someone to fix?
You can purchase 2-3 cans of Sea Foam. Run your gas tank down to 30 percent full. Pour in all 3 cans of Sea Foam. Start the genny. Allow it to run for 1 to 2 hours. Allow to sit overnight. Start again next day and run for another 1-2 hours. Allow to sit again. Sometimes, the Sea Foam in high enough concentration will clean out carburetor. Just need to get high concentration and allow to sit for long enough. You might get luck with this!
Old 12-31-2021, 07:16 AM   #5
Platinum Member

It's Miracle Stuff - I concur
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I've found, at least IMHO, that Berryman's works better.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
I've found, at least IMHO, that Berryman's works better.
I have used both. The Berryman is way less expensive. I found Sea Foam has a fuel stabilizer. I used to add these routinely as preventive measure when I had the carburetor genny. Just change to new 2800i with fuel injection. I may still use the additives annually?
Old 12-31-2021, 03:16 PM   #8
Gold Member

I prefer Berryman for cleaning, but Seafoam for storage.
mikeehlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I forgot to mention. Maybe 2nd day place load onto genny so if moisture is in the winding. I have seen people use a 50/50 mix of Seafoam. As long as you can get the genny to start. You will have a decent chance of correcting partially gummed up carburetor?
Old 01-01-2022, 03:23 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
The really strange thing is when the lights are on battery they are brighter than on the generator.
Educate me. Don't lights run off the 12v batteries and not the Onan generated AC that has to be converted first to DC to charge the batteries? Do lights burn brighter on a battery at 100% charge vs a 50% charge. What makes lights flicker?
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Does Seafoam or Berrymans at such high concentration, does it it damage, dry out the Rig's fuel injectors because as a full timer, I drive everyday?
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 01-04-2022, 06:08 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Does Seafoam or Berrymans at such high concentration, does it it damage, dry out the Rig's fuel injectors because as a full timer, I drive everyday?
I have seen use 50/50 mix of Sea Foam to clean up genny carburetors. They were running directly into genny from a bottle. If you are running genny daily your carburetor is probably pretty clean. Maybe run a can annually as a preventive precaution. These gasoline additives are not harmful to auto fuel systems. They were made for auto motors. I have seen some people add small quantities into the oil? Think Chevron Techron in gasoline to clean out injectors.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:32 PM   #13
Silver Member

I had to take my Onan out for maintenance and found huge mice nest inside it which could have caused a fire! While Had it out I put the electric fuel pump on the outside and now I can access the suction hose in order to run stabilizer directly into the unit prior to parking for the season. I also run it on non ethanol gas prior to shut down. it helps
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #14
Silver Member

What fuel pump did you use?
leva56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 06:07 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlum View Post
I have seen use 50/50 mix of Sea Foam to clean up genny carburetors. They were running directly into genny from a bottle. If you are running genny daily your carburetor is probably pretty clean. Maybe run a can annually as a preventive precaution. These gasoline additives are not harmful to auto fuel systems. They were made for auto motors. I have seen some people add small quantities into the oil? Think Chevron Techron in gasoline to clean out injectors.
Thank you - recently I was talking to a mechanic & he claimed overuse (of other additives), dried out the injectors.

But that was only one opinion.

I use Seafoam in my Italian Scooters - it really is a Tune Up in a bottle
Old 01-06-2022, 06:24 PM   #16
Silver Member

used the pump that was mounted on the inside of the Onan, just ran new lines and mounted outside for better access as well added an inline see through fuel filter
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote