Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default ONAN 2.8, Carb Kit or Carb?

I did a quick search on here and didn't see anything about the cheap carb kits or replacement carbs available.

My generator is a dog to start and it backfires a few times before starting when it is below freezing. Once it goes it works OK. I tried installing a primer ball on it and it didn't help so it needs a resurrection.

So, is it better to rebuild the carb or just replace it? Both options are available on ebay for about the same cost.

ONAN Model 2.8KVFA26100K Spec K, S/N A040592835

Stevemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Not relevant to your carb question, but your mention of running the generator below freezing got me wondering. My 20 year old Onan 2800 has a switch of sorts to open/close a pre-heater for winter use. It was stuck when I first bought the RV a few years ago, but I managed to loosen it up. And the Onan runs much better when that switch is appropriately set for the weather conditions. I was just wondering how many owners of these old Onan generators regularly use that switch?
RT-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:07 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemo View Post
I did a quick search on here and didn't see anything about the cheap carb kits or replacement carbs available.

My generator is a dog to start and it backfires a few times before starting when it is below freezing. Once it goes it works OK. I tried installing a primer ball on it and it didn't help so it needs a resurrection.

So, is it better to rebuild the carb or just replace it? Both options are available on ebay for about the same cost.

ONAN Model 2.8KVFA26100K Spec K, S/N A040592835
Onan no longer sells any parts for the carburetor. I think some stuff is available on Ebay as are cheap replacement carbs. You would probably be better served to keep up with the Sea Foam treatment and maybe adjust the choke per the manual.

Probably not your problem but I had trouble starting in the cold. Turned out to be slightly low oil level. Added a few ounces and all was well. Check your oil level when cold.

Contrary to your video your Onan does have an electric fuel pump. They often need replacement. It has a fuel filter, too.

Don’t hold the start button down so long. Dunno why but it won’t start that way. Pause, hit the button, and away it goes. I expect it has something to do with voltage, electric fuel pump, and starter voltage drop.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:59 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I purchased a replacement carb for my 2.8 Onan last year for $69.00 off on Ebay.
Works great, just need a little patience to remove and install the carbs.
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

I have removed the carb and cleaned it thoroughly with parts cleaner from auto zone, it comes in a one gallon can. No need to replace any parts, just remove all the jets, counting how many turns it takes you make to remove them, write it down on a pice of paper. Also, make certain no O rings or springs remain in the holes. Remove rubber gaskets from carb bowl, and soak them over night. If they are really gummed up you may have to soak them longer. Wash them with clean water, blow them out with compressor and look through them to be certain they are not obstructed. Do the same with the carb body, blow out all the holes. Make sure everything is blown dry. Re-install the jets making sure you count the turns so that they are in the original positions. I usually coat the rubber gaskets with grease so that they stick in their grooves. I have done this with many motorcycle carbs and lawn equipment, carbs get gummed up with shellac from gasoline when they sit too long. This method returns your carb to new condition.
Astro driver 042 is offline   Reply With Quote