Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Default Onan 2.8 generator

Are they as bad as people say? Is there a solution to providing reliable operation?
Don10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Onan 2.8 generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don10
Are they as bad as people say? Is there a solution to providing reliable operation?
Maybe not as bad as some folks say, but not ideal, IMO.

Most of the issues can be addressed, but not eliminated. Ours has worked well for about 4 years now, after a rocky start. Now that we know how to keep it healthy, we haven't had any issues. IMO, it does take a bit more work, or preservative, than just exercising it once a month, but nothing terrible. We don't use it often, but wouldn't go without, either, and it is still way less hassle than hauling a Honda along.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Knocking on wood. I have the Onan propane generator and I have to admit I am guilty in not exercising it. I just went out in 11 degree F weather and started it up for the first time this winter since last September. Yes, it started. The gasoline generators definitely need exercising monthly I understand mainly because of varnish buildup. The propane generators seem to be more forgiving and in all my research I've found a lot of conflicting information about the exercising routine for them. I've been trouble free for 8 years of use over two generators (2 Bs) but I don't use our generator much at all.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Team

The only issue I've ever had is the (very common) problem of insects clogging up the little rubber vent hose. Whenever it won't start, I crawl under the vehicle and clean out that hose with a piece of wire. Works every time.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I had Onan gasoline generators in my previous 2 C classes: I had to put Stabil in the gas tank for winter storage so I had no trouble with not starting but they both were intermittently balky. My propane 2.8 always starts right away and has enough power for my uses. I do NOT like the location on my Plateau--checking oil level or changing it is literally a pain in the butt(and all other parts).
Never had a diesel genset.
Fastpaddler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don10
Nope, and yes. As some have said, they're usually awkward to get at, if something does go wrong. I have only had to seek professional help on mine once, when the start/run solenoid failed due to corroded wires inside the casing. Due to previous owners not using it regularly, according to the tech. My psychiatrist disagreed.
Fire it up as often as you can, for at least 15-30 minutes, or until it settles into a smooth running idle, with or without load. I try to run mine until the noise starts to annoy me. They recommend adding load, like the A/C, but that doesn't work in cold weather. Some plug in an electric heater, but I just try to fire it up and run it once in a while. I also wouldn't recommend starting it in sub freezing temps, because the oil will be like mollasses and you might damage parts which require immediate lubrication, but that would be your choice. In the winter, as soon as the temp gets above freeze, I start mine. In summer, as often as I can.
Just my opinion, and from experience. I have had no problems with mine since 2010, when I had it professionally serviced.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Thanks for all the reply's. We're official in now owning our first RV. Good feedback.
Don10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I'd consider fogging it before putting it away for the winter, if it is too cold to start it up. That way, there is oil on all parts come time to fire it up.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:08 AM   #9
g1g
Platinum Member

Just to add one more point. I believe you hear so many bad things is because of the popularity. I could be wrong but Onan is the only one to make generators that are installed. Like I said maybe I'm wrong but everyone will admit their popularity. You are talking to a community of RVrs who automatically have this brand installed not standby home or portable units.Yes some RVrs will carry some portable ones but that is minimal. Sure I had a problem with mine once but I also had to fix a several other brands that friends had as standby gennys for their home.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:09 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Guilty, too, of not exercising the lp Onan regularly. I try to remember to do it at least once per month for an hour under the a/c load (here in Florida I can always find a day that the a/c compressor comes on). Most of the time it starts right up, but sometimes it takes several attempts before it runs smoothly and continuously. But, it has yet to never start. Only needed it one time in four years and that time it fired right up thank goodness.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Platinum Member

A built in generator seems to be a very popular item with Class B converters. Most everyone with RT, GWV, P-W, LTV, WB and AS I know have one. Only the Sportsmobile people seem to lack them. Oddly I noticed many Class As don't have built in generators. When in Alaska, especially in Seward, where there were large campgrounds without electrical hookups I noticed most Class As had portable generators like the Honda. I'm assuming most Class A motorhome users just assume they will camp at electrical hookup campgrounds most of the time. Was my observation off? Does anyone know the ratio of built in generators to motorhomes sold? It just struck me odd people with 30-40 foot motorhomes costing $200,000 and up new didn't have built in generators.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Think you are right. Classes A folks probably expect hook-ups where they stop. Less bookdocking. Besides, they have lot more storage space for a portable, as do Class Cs. I'll take my B with the built-in.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Platinum Member

All class A's have built in generators, they just use the little Hondas to save on fuel and cut down on noise. I would have a little Honda for our Bounder if I didn't have solar panels and inverter. We only use our gen to cook or run roof air. I have no gen for the B since we have no microwave or roof air.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #14

Seems odd the coaches you seen did not have onboard generators. I belong to three motor home clubs and all ( class A) have on board generators.
campmuch is offline   Reply With Quote