Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onan 2.8 Generator

Hi.
Problem with my Onan
Its starts up pretty easy....runs for a few minutes.
Then it just shuts off?
I have been told to check the fuel filter? Does that sound right?
Probably should change it anyway?
Any idea of the best place to find it or a part number for it?
Thank you
Eddie
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Platinum Member

On the outside of your generator there should be a label which will have a model number. Use that to search for parts. There are several version of the 2.8 generator. Post exactly what you have.

Mine is a 2.8KV series F. The fuel filter is relatively inexpensive and prices on the internet are all fairly close in price. If you have not ever changed the filter, it a good place to start. Although you can see the fuel filter when you open the access door, it is tricky to change. The top hose (from filter to carb) is easily removed, however, the bottom hose is tough to reach. You may not enough free play in the fuel line to pull it up to access the clamp on the bottom. If you do get it off, be aware that there is an arrow on the filter that shows the direction of the fuel flow.

A fuel pump could also be at fault. Sometimes as they run and get hot, they can flow much less fuel.

Diagnosing generator problems is fairy technical. There is good information in the appropriate Onan Service manual, but to really diagnose one, it often requires dropping the generator. Once you determine the part involved, it is likely that it will not be accessible through the service door.

I'd start with the fuel filter, and while your are in there check the air filter. Also, if your unit surges when running, it could be symptoms of a dirty carburetor.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #3
Bronze Member

I agree. Start with the fuel filter. I had a similar problem. It would start and run for 15 min. then die. I would wait for 10 min. and it would restart and then die 15 min. later. I replace the filter and it's ran fine since.
I have a 2.8 KVF and it uses fuel filter Wix33031 $6. (Onan equivalent) It is tough to change the filter through the opening but I found that by removing the 2 screws that hold the starter switch / control panel made it easier. Disconnect the battery first! You do not have to remove the control panel. Just remove the screws and allow the control panel to hang free you will be able to reach below the filter with a hemostat clamp and pull the hose up far enough to get to the lower hose clamp. The hemostat clamp will stop the gas flow and reach where you fingers won’t fit.

Never a problem, Sometimes a challenge, Always an adventure

Wes

2010 Pleasureway Excel TS (Buttercup)
Wandering Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:21 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Wes View Post
I agree. Start with the fuel filter. I had a similar problem. It would start and run for 15 min. then die. I would wait for 10 min. and it would restart and then die 15 min. later. I replace the filter and it's ran fine since.
I have a 2.8 KVF and it uses fuel filter Wix33031 $6. (Onan equivalent) It is tough to change the filter through the opening but I found that by removing the 2 screws that hold the starter switch / control panel made it easier. Disconnect the battery first! You do not have to remove the control panel. Just remove the screws and allow the control panel to hang free you will be able to reach below the filter with a hemostat clamp and pull the hose up far enough to get to the lower hose clamp. The hemostat clamp will stop the gas flow and reach where you fingers won’t fit.

Never a problem, Sometimes a challenge, Always an adventure

Wes

2010 Pleasureway Excel TS (Buttercup)
Good advice. It would be so much easier if they put an extra 3" of hose.

Regarding the two screws that hold the bottom of the control panel, they are on the outside of the bottom mounting pan and exposed to the elements. Hopefully, they will come out. Use penetrating oil first for several applications. Mine were so rusted they the had to be drilled out, but I had to remove the generator to find a no start problem so, at that point, I had total access to them.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #5

I had a similar issue with mine. The guy I got my xplorer from fixed mine he said it was the Regulator I believe and not a cheap part but he did it for the sale
wmorrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Bronze Member

At one point Onan used a low oil level switch on the 2800. Ours was defective, it would start and run but not reliably. Disconnecting/bypassing the switch fixed the issue. Just something else to keep in mind.
Frankshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #7

I would try to run some Seafoam thru it if it'll run a little. Try running it with seafoam and when it quits, let it set a little and do again. Low oil level should also be checked.
Fishalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #8

I had a similar problem worse in warm weather. It turned out to be a burnt fuel pump which has over heating.
CJBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #9

I also had a similar problem.....Cumming repair here in GA had several go's at fixing it.
Turned out it needed a magneto.
JohnBojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
Gold Member

Default My Fuel Pump Was Bad

See attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan Generator Pump Repl_Relocate Project.pdf (540.3 KB, 33 views)
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatters60 View Post
See attached.
Interesting set up. Although the pump runs cooler outside the case, it is more exposed to the elements.

I noticed that your generator did not have the foil backed piece of insulation that goes between the case and the black metal plate. Part #7 in this diagram. This may contribute to the overheating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insulation.jpg (143.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
Gold Member

I had removed the insulation/inlet baffle for the pictures. Just FYI, since repairing my generator (June 2017) and relocating the fuel filter and pump, it has run flawlessly in temps up to 100+. And at minimum I run it at least once a month for 2 hours under half load as specified by Onan.
bwatters60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #13
Silver Member

I had the same problem. Mine was a bad rotor and voltage regulator. I replace them both and it now runs fine.
joeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:18 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Same problem.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski View Post
I had the same problem. Mine was a bad rotor and voltage regulator. I replace them both and it now runs fine.
When I purchased the rig...had too few hours... probably never serviced by original owners?
Yeah, took it to Cummins Onan....they replaced the rotor and voltage regulator....

Yes, two hours per month... good idea.... Cummins said these units can run thousands of hours, just don't let them sit around ....
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote