Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2022, 02:01 AM   #1
CRA

Default ONAN 2500 Propane Generator Won't Start

My 2015 RoadTrek Agile has a ONAN Cummings 2500 Watt propane generator with 34 hours. Usually it starts right up and runs. In October I want to start it and it would crank and crank and crank but not start. LP gas goes to the heater, stove, and water heater and you can smell gas LP gas after it's been cranking so I'm pretty sure that propane is getting to the generator. Changed the spark plug and before I reinstalled, I grounded it and cranked to verify I had spark. It still wouldn't start. My last option I turned on the vehicle and then went back to start it and it started right up. I tried it once or twice the next few days while I was traveling, and it started. Now six weeks later it's doing the same thing cranking crank crank crank but no start with LP odor at the back of the coach outside. I replaced 2 6v AGM 8AGC2 190 ah @20hr house batteries wired in series two years ago and we'll do a battery check them tomorrow. I have checked the Cummings Manual and that says that we need 12v 360 CCA (cold cranking amps) to start the generator. I spoke to a repair center who suggested checking the batteries. I just want to know if anybody has any ideas or if anybody has that similar experience and what you did to resolve it. I'm at my wits end and don't want to take it into the Cummings repair facility if it's not the generator problem. And I don't want to pay $700 for two new batteries. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
CRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Unless the generator has been started recently, I Always start the van's engine first - 14+ volts from the alternator.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
CRA

That worked the first time 6 weeks ago and I was hopeful it would be the same. It wasn't. Today I am going to try putting a capacitor battery jumper onthe house batteries which is strong enough for my diesel and an hopeful that will boost enough amps to start the generator. Then I can be certain it is the house batteries. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I think the propane generators have had issues with plugged vent lines so that may be something worth checking before going much further.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:46 PM   #5
CRA

Any idea of the vent line location or what to look for?
Old 12-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #6
Bronze Member

A couple of years ago the Onan on my 2016 Roadtrek would not start. I was able to determine that the internal hoses that feed propane to the carburator developed cracks causing the engine to draw air through the cracks rather than pulling in propane. I replaced the hoses (2 of them) and the generator has been fine since. I have since seen articles that others have had the same problem. It may not be what you are experienecing but it is one possibility.
Jim Agile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #7

There is a breather line on the generator at the back that should have a sock/screen on it. The sock falls off and insects build nests and block the air. Happened to me with a dirt dabber nest. Once I cleared the blockage, mine then worked fine.
treking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #8

Only 34 hours on a 2016 shows it has not been used enough. Onans need to be "exercised" monthly under load *after* they've been warmed up. Onan recommends 1 hour under load every month. There are "slip rings" in the generator side that get tarnished from lack of use and won't let it start. Servicing those requires the entire unit to be removed to be fixed, not fun *or* cheap.
1st thing to check is the breather vent as described above. It's a hose on the outside back of the green tub it sits in. Wasps and spiders especially like the smell and build nests that plug the hose.
Next thing to check is the oil level. If there's not enough it won't allow it to start to prevent damage.
There is also a fuse and a breaker switch on the unit, make sure it's good/reset.
If you get it started again be sure to run it for a long time under load.
Good luck!
beauregaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:04 PM   #9

I have a 2012 Pleasure Way Plateau with the 2500 lp generator. Several years (2016) ago my generator was acting exactly like yours and I pretty much did everything you did ( including finding that it would start if the van running). When I replaced my house battery all my problems vanished.

Between the time the problem appeared and when I replaced the house battery I started the van engine anytime the generator wouldn't start. I would not have replaced $700 worth of batteries to fix.

I think the generator just doesn't like it if the battery voltage is a little low.
PJ2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #10
Bronze Member

The fact that you smell propane does not guarantee the propane is getting to the engine. When my unit would not start because of the cracks in the propane hoses, I would smell propane when trying to start it. The propane was being pushed out through the cracks in the hoses. I was abe to verify that it was a fuel issue by partially blocking the air intake to the carburator (essentially choking it) while attempting to start it. The unit would fire and run for a short time as long as the air intake was choked.

As for maintenance, my manual says to run the generator under load for at least half hour every month. In the warmer weather I use the air conditioner as a load; in the colder times I use a small electric space heater as a load.
Jim Agile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
CRA

Thanks for all your input. I will check the vent now that someone has given me a location but it is hanging underneath the vehicle in front of the behind the rear axle. Makes getting under and looking at stuff a real bear. I suspect that it might be deteriorated fuel lines. In any case it hangs below the vehicle and I'm not able to for have the equipment to lower it. I purchased an aftermarket warranty which is still in effect, and I've made an appointment Cummings service center here in San Antonio for next week. If I find a clogged man I'll let you know. Yes I know I need to exercise the generator on a load that's what I was trying to do the second time I had the issue with it. Once fixed I will be running it and loading it monthly. What goods are generator if it doesn't start or run when you need it? I’ll post the outcome once repaired.
Old 11-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #12

I am just now troubleshooting my generator problem. I have come across the exact same issue with leaking propane lines internal to generator. Not possible to figure this out while installed. I went and updated the gen with newer 2800i. Inverter much quieter performance. But I still though the old gen was worth fixing. On the work bench as soon as I hit PRIME you could smell the propane and hear the hissing. I pulled the hose out and leak tested using compressor and found the exact leak. Shame that it only had 30 hours on it at 5 years old that the hoses would fail.
SparkyRvTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 02:38 PM   #13
Silver Member

I always start the engine first...
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyRvTraveler View Post
On the work bench as soon as I hit PRIME you could smell the propane and hear the hissing.
So did you smell propane when it was installed or only after you put it on the bench? Does it not leak until you prime it?
beauregaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 12:57 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauregaard View Post
So did you smell propane when it was installed or only after you put it on the bench? Does it not leak until you prime it?
I never smelled propane during any type start up- but never pulled it from it’s mount.

I recently replaced my propane generator for a gasoline fired as I moved away from propane altogether. I still start the engine first.
tarp is offline   Reply With Quote