Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #21

Yes Darel, I realized you'd already done the filters and plugs after I posted that. My apologies...

There are some pretty nice smaller portable gensets out now. I just got my son a Champion inverter gen, for dual fuel gas or propane, with electric start for his trailer, and it looks to be a good unit. I recall it being 3500 W and pretty quiet, good reviews.

Just for others info the replacement brush holder for the Onan Microlite 4000 I worked on was $114. Getting it back in service quickly right after it failed took some time. But within one week I had it all back in and running for the next rental..... which happened to be MY trip in it, I stepped in to help the owner, as the shops were all booked up with work here in Texas, and the temps were running over 100 degrees every day. Having it running saved our personal trip to the Gulf with family.

I'm a big believer in having a genset for the RV. You never know when it will be needed. My 1992 Class B in Oregon has the 2800 in it, and it has been a lifesaver multiple times. One time the fuel pump in the RV tank went out down here in Texas in August, headed back to Oregon during high temps. We had AC for comfort while waiting for the shop to get to the van to drop the fuel tank. Glad to have it....

Hope you get your fuel pump issue resolved. Installing it outboard may be a way to avoid dropping it out, as others suggested.

Regards Pete
Paga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #22
Bronze Member

Yeah, I already ordered several feet of hose and a wide assortment of hose barbs. I remember what a pain it was getting the fuel filter on as the one hose end / clamp was just at the edge of the frame crossmember and it was running fuel all over me while I couldn't get any leverage on it to shove the filter barb into it. I'm moving that down to a more accessible spot too. Thanks!
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote