Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

Default Onan generator

Hello all. I have a Onan under our 2005 Roadtrek 210 Popular. It wasn't working so I dropped it and put it on the bench. I cleaned the carb. It will start with the switch but as soon as I let go it dies. Any suggestions?
Mastrmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrmike View Post
Hello all. I have a Onan under our 2005 Roadtrek 210 Popular. It wasn't working so I dropped it and put it on the bench. I cleaned the carb. It will start with the switch but as soon as I let go it dies. Any suggestions?
Typically one of these 2 items:
1. Low oil or low oil level switch is bad. Just jumper the sensor and try that. Check oil first though.
2. Bad voltage regulator.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrmike View Post

And it needs a Regulator (I didn't realize this had anything to do with starting), see if you can cannabilize one from an RV Yard for $50.

For me it was an issue when it went bad & the Inverter gave me the Warning of Overcharging or something like that.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

If the regulator is faulty it would be prudent to check the resistance of the slip rings. Too high of a reading can/will take out the regulator. The allowed Ohms and how to check(easy) are listed in the repair manual.

If resistance is higher than spec you will have to tear into the genny a bit to get access to clean things up. Not so easy.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 06:34 PM   #5

I had a similar issue on a 2006 Roadtrek 210 Popular. I tried cleaning the carb and it would run just never come up to speed. Replaced the original carb with an aftermarket carb, new fuel pump, and new fuel filter and still the same issue. Took it to a Cummins dealer and the Service Manager said the aftermarket carbs are not jetted correctly, he told me exactly what his plan of action would be and that the first hour of Tech labor was 248.00. I ordered a carburetor from Cummins (Nikki Brand), and it runs like new. I wish I would have known that before I wasted the $80 on an aftermarket carb. The Onan carb was 265.00.
JonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Silver Member

These generators are smart enough to know that if they don't produce output voltage they shut down as soon as the start switch is released. As another poster mentioned, slip rings are a possibility. One of my generators did the same thing, turned out to be a bad rotor. $1000 later it was fixed.
2006 Roadtrek 210 Versatile, 400W Solar, 320AH LiFePO4. Suspension mods: Front: Moog 81004 coil springs. Rear: SuperSteer Track Bar, AirLift airbags with integrated bump stop, 2" lift blocks, removed overload leafs. All around: Bilsteins, 265-75R16 K02's
Luv2Go is offline   Reply With Quote