Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Onan Genorator not working correctly

I have a 2018 Airstream Class B with an Onan 2600 propane generator. I've had issue with the generator since day 1.
Initially, the generation ran but, with a great amount of vibration. After taking the coach to the Airstream dealership, at least 3 times to trouble shoot the problem, the dealership advised me to take it to Cummings/Onan service center. Cummings informed me that the generator was not installed properly. They had to replace two large bolts. No more vibration.
I drove the coach to N.Y. and the vibration returned. I had used the generator less the an hour and the severe vibration returned. Also, if I put a load onto the generator, i.e., microwave or coffee maker, the generator shuts down and I can't restart the the genorator for a lengthy time. The genorator has a total of 25 hours on the clock.
Any insight on my problem?
Tommym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:34 AM   #2

I have a 2018 ERA with the same propane generator. the thing never worked right from the beginning. difficult to start, running the microwave would load it and shut it down. Finally took it to a generator shop while on a trip to Yakima, Wa. you will Never guess what they found. Winnebago had installed basically 3 regulators between the tank and the propane manifold. when you open the side door there is a high pressure regulator visible, , and on the side of the tank is the dual stage regulator. the shop in Yak removed the visible regulator and connected the dual directly to the tank. works like a charm ever since then. sorry for the late reply, been on the road. hope this help...
loots432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Wish I had the knowledge to help. It will become clear that you will have to do it yourself. To start with have the Cummins dealer point out to you which bolts were missing. Then you can check to see if they are missing again.

Test the propane pressure at the generator, running and not running, and compare it to what the manual says it should be. Follow the propane line from generator to tank to locate the pressure regulator.

You can do this yourself and can’t do any worse than the professionals. Bottom line is the generator is new and should be able to power the microwave. Something is wrong with the propane supply. Just a guess but I bet if you give it a try you can figure it out yourself.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote