Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Onan Installation

Hi, anyone know of a place that will install an Onan generator in my 2002 Roadtrek 190? I'm in Denver right now, heading to Santa Fe then on to Kentucky. Any installer near these locations would be great. I've called several places on the Cummins web site and no one will give me a clear answer.
Please don't tell me to buy a Honda generator. I've made my decision and just need advice on where to get it done. Thank you.
AnFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnFear View Post
Hi, anyone know of a place that will install an Onan generator in my 2002 Roadtrek 190? I'm in Denver right now, heading to Santa Fe then on to Kentucky. Any installer near these locations would be great. I've called several places on the Cummins web site and no one will give me a clear answer.
Please don't tell me to buy a Honda generator. I've made my decision and just need advice on where to get it done. Thank you.

ONAN redesigned their generator in 2012. It is NOT the exact configuration that your'onan ready' 2002 roadtrek was designed for . it is also a slightly different size.

Camping world installs generators in general. they might not be super familiar with roadtreks but they have experience with rv.s Also an rv dealership that sells roadtreks might be useful. Cummins makes the generators and repairs them. They rarely do installations if at all
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #3
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnFear View Post

Are you replacing an old one?
ie the RV has all the mounting brackets in place.
Do you have the new Onan on hand?
ie all you need is someone to install it?
if so, then any auto garage would be happy to do that for you.

I am glad you have made your decision; I don't have to add mine. :
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Bronze Member

I know about the redesign. So theres going to need to be modifications. This Roadtrek didn't come with a generator but it is generator ready. There's a bracket and even the fuel line is there. I just made an appointment at a Cummings place in Henderson Co for an estimate. I hadn't thought about looking for a Roadtrek dealer. If the place I'm going doesn't work out I'll look for one of those. As for Camping World I was there a couple of days ago for a different reason and while the staff was very nice I wasn't impressed with there service department. If I have to I'll look at a different one. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Onan should have the parts necessary to adapt the new size to the old mounting. They sell the parts that do that. If the installer doesn't know about it tell them to look a little harder.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
Bronze Member

No one I spoke to so far mentioned that Onan makes parts to adapt the new model to older mounts. Makes sense that they would do that. They are trying to sell generators. This information helps a lot. Thank you
Old 05-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Ok, I have an update and I'll include a parts list for any one else who might want to add a generator to an older Roadtrek.
I had the current Onan 2.8 installed. the only modification needed is to make longer cross bars for the underfloor kit. These are the braces that go behind the generator and are just basic flat stock. Cut to length and drill bolt holes. Very simple.
The parts needed are:
Generator; Onan 2.8 HGJBB-1120A ($2300)
Underfloor Kit; A042W103 ($325)
Install Kit; CS INS 001 ($300)
Prices obviously are approximate and all the parts are available from Cummins.
I paid to have mine installed by Alpine Power Solutions in Loveland Co. and highly recommend them. However I would say the job could be done by anyone average mechanical skills if your trying to save money. When I had mine installed I also had Alpine install a modern charger/converter and a Trimetric battery monitor so I can't give a price on just a generator instal but expect it would be in the $800 to $1000 range.
Hope this is helpful to any one considering adding or upgrading a generator to an older Roadtrek.