Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Onan QG 2800i specs

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zcom-media/...Sheet_002_.pdf

Looks like it has two fuel pumps with one of them outside. The fuel and power lines exit from a different corner than the previous model. Still no word on availability.

Exhaust outlet is on the side which is better but will present some retrofit complications.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

And More Finally, but a Honda was missing:

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

It's my understanding that all Travatos now in production and moving forward will come with this generator.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
And More Finally, but a Honda was missing:

I am wondering. Is this a quiet as the Honda 2200? Seems like they could have made it a bit quieter? Wonder if the retrofit market will be big? Are there other competitors coming to market? Seems like Onan has the monopoly on the RV generator build in market?
Rlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There's been a lot of past discussion on loud Onan genertors and why the company hadn't come out with a "quiet" model. I pretty sure Onan's failure to do so sooner has contributed mightily to the development of more all lithium coaches.

Yes, it could still be quieter, but if it proves dependable (and even underhood generators have their issues), they may have held off the demise of rv generators a few years longer.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:58 AM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

I can be a little slow at times, it just dawned on me that that Fit Folks did not measure, Compare the generators when............... I am wondering if they really really wanted to give a thumbs up with the new generator and did not compare Inside the B's.

Notice as you move away from the B or closer the relative difference between the generators changes. Closer to B's the old generator becomes more and more obnoxious relative to the new one, But what happens with the relative difference Inside with the ac running? Seems like that once you go inside and shut the B's door, the relative difference would be? My head started hurting, so I gave up for a while trying to arrive at a guess.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:07 AM   #7
Platinum Member

My "old" Onan 2800QG is quieter inside than the roof ac. While sitting inside they don't compound one-another. I hear mostly the ac because it is louder.

I imagine the ac units in both Winnebagos are the Coleman NDQ's which are 7-8 db quieter than mine on High Fan. Therefore, I suspect it would be a draw on sound or maybe the generator would be more noticeable.

At least James of FIT RV has been posting sound readings. I've seen few others.

Note: I've read for years on this and other forums that, for some, their Onan generators were obnoxiously loud inside their b's and perhaps transmitted vibration as well. Maybe my Onan was better isolated (sound wise and rubber mountings), but my Onan has never been the least bit unpleasant from inside.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
My "old" Onan 2800QG is quieter inside than the roof ac. While sitting inside they don't compound one-another. I hear mostly the ac because it is louder.

I imagine the ac units in both Winnebagos are the Coleman NDQ's which are 7-8 db quieter than mine on High Fan. Therefore, I suspect it would be a draw on sound or maybe the generator would be more noticeable.

At least James of FIT RV has been posting sound readings. I've seen few others.

Note: I've read for years on this and other forums that, for some, their Onan generators were obnoxiously loud inside their b's and perhaps transmitted vibration as well. Maybe my Onan was better isolated (sound wise and rubber mountings), but my Onan has never been the least bit unpleasant from inside.
i was trying to say James Only measured/compared outside which is important, but what about inside using the ac which is THE application for an onan today. Why did he not measure/compare with actual use inside? Slow like me and did not think about it? Or? Or? Interesting I think. I went back and checked for any comment, but that was turned off.

Next B, no absorption but now maybe an Onan rather than batteries, need to experience one.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
i was trying to say James Only measured/compared outside which is important, but what about inside using the ac which is THE application for an onan today. Why did he not measure/compare with actual use inside? Slow like me and did not think about it? Or? Or? Interesting I think. I went back and checked for any comment, but that was turned off.

Next B, no absorption but now maybe an Onan rather than batteries, need to experience one.
To measure differences on inside noise levels one would need similar vans for a comparison, I would think.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #10

I installed a QG2800i in my 20’ class C, It replaced a bumper mounted Honda EU2200i.
The QG2800i is actually quieter outside and very similar inside comparing noise and vibration. Overall the new generator exceeded my expectations. It is quiet inside and out and is well insulated from vibration. You must hear one to believe it!
bless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless View Post
I installed a QG2800i in my 20’ class C, It replaced a bumper mounted Honda EU2200i.
The QG2800i is actually quieter outside and very similar inside comparing noise and vibration. Overall the new generator exceeded my expectations. It is quiet inside and out and is well insulated from vibration. You must hear one to believe it!
Were you able to purchase it directly from Onan? Would you mind giving us the price. I have heard $2500. I was quoted $2915.00?

Thanks
Old 11-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #12

I purchased from Colorado Standby
it was $2915 delivered to Florida
I purchased an exhaust pipe, remote control and harness for a few hundred dollars more
It came in less than 2 weeks
Old 11-10-2020, 11:59 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
I purchased from Colorado Standby
it was $2915 delivered to Florida
I purchased an exhaust pipe, remote control and harness for a few hundred dollars more
It came in less than 2 weeks
Thanks. I do not think I will install myself. Class B space is limited. I was under today looking for wires from solar controller.
Old 11-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Very good news. About time they built a quiet generator, and with fuel injection, it should start & run more reliably.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #15
Platinum Member

This is the generator to which we will upgrade when ours either dies or needs major service. We're not spending any more money on our current noisemaker.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #16
Platinum Member

It is going to be very interesting to see how the EFI version handles the ethanol or not fuels both from a gunking up point and also from a fuel mixture. Vehicles engines all have adaptive learning and adjust the mixture and timing to match the fuel octane and burn characteristics. I wonder if the Onan has that capability? With the wide variety that RVs get while traveling, it gets pretty important I think.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #17
Platinum Member

When the time comes we'd be buying a propane version of this generator, so fuel mixture questions wouldn't come into the equation at all.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
When the time comes we'd be buying a propane version of this generator, so fuel mixture questions wouldn't come into the equation at all.
I picked the gas version cause I have 30 gallons of fuel (75% of 40 gal tank) and at about 3-4 gallons a day that gives me about 7-10 days of generator on a tank of fuel